GS 554 — Coming of Age in America: Contemporary Issues (Continued)
Explore Roberto Rivera’s www.thegoodlifeorganization.com.
Questions of Application:
- What do we do with the ideas that have come up over the course of the institute?
- How do we apply our understanding in our specific schools and classrooms?
- Ascent and Immersion
- Double Consciousness
- Tension Between Stereotype and “Reality”
- Call and Response
- How can teachers help a student become a unique individual and a member of a community?
- How do you go from being touched to being moved?
- How do you maintain a school system as a cornerstone of a progressive and democratic society?
Questions about Students:
- What is the impact of popular culture on our students?
- How can you help students find their voices and tell their stories? How can you find and tell your own?
- How can you foster a sense of worthiness in students?
- How do we help students understand their identities?
- To what extent should we shelter students from difficult truths?
Questions about Teachers:
- How can teachers form authentic relationships with students while respecting professional boundaries?
- How do we balance pressures to achieve (frequently measured by dictates and standards) with the meaningful, non-quantifiable elements of student growth?
- What responsibility do teachers bear for promoting digital citizenship?
Questions about Curriculum:
- What would it look like to have a coherent, aligned multicultural curriculum?
- How can teachers develop a multicultural curriculum without threatening (or seeming to threaten) the established values of the larger community?