More Pictures from the Valley!

Our class had the opportunity to talk to a few expert women who taught us about the water rights system in the San Luis Valley and the different Rio Grande restoration projects that are happening. We also visited a potato farm and potato factory to gain a better understanding of the local industries and how they are affected by the availability of water in the valley.

16122243_1582682435082510_1057381242_o
Potato Factory. An interesting thing that a potato farmer said was that because of the recent droughts he was forced to explore farming methods that use less water. He now uses Green Manure, a more sustainable method that helps the environment and his private farming practices when water is scarce. He said that in many ways he was thankful for the drought for motivating him to be more innovative and sustainable.

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 5.05.03 PM
This is the Exeter Machine. It takes pictures of each potato and places it in the correct category based on color, shape and size. The Exeter Machine can get through 100,000 pounds of potatoes in just one hour!

I found a heart-shaped potato and farmer Doug let me take it home! Doug and I brainstormed about the idea of selling sacks of exclusively heart-shaped potatoes around valentines day. Could be the next big hit in the potato sales!

16237988_1590883937595693_213665301_n
Embodying the flow of water right next to the Rio Grande. We (Becca, Christian and I) are standing at the site of a future project. The project aims to make recreation on the river more accessible for the local community so that member can come together through the river and can feel a deeper connection to their water source. Through this project the organization will also receive more local support and involvement! Becca, Christian and I all have experience learning and expressing ourselves via dance and body movement. We performed a dance interpretation of environmental education theory for the student dance show called dance workshop. Check out the video of our dance on youtube if your are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1iID_k1Zw

Published by Chelo

Hello! My name is Chelo and I am a 3rd year at Colorado College. I was born and raised in San Francisco to a spanglish speaking family of clowns and acrobats. At CC I am majoring in Education Studies and minoring in Environmental Issues. This fall I was a steward at the TREE (Teaching and Research in Environmental Education) Semester and spent four months living at the Catamount Center teaching in the outdoors and exploring the field of environmental education. I am passionate about teaching, children and the sustainability of the natural world. If you are looking for be around campus you can find me on the lacrosse field or in the dance studio.