The Program Coordinator will play a significant role in supporting and promoting AWCC’s mission of teaching the world to care about and to care for wildlife and the environment. Working closely with the Director of Education and the AWCC management team, the Program Coordinator will help promote and improve ongoing outreach programs, volunteer opportunities, and identify and develop new educational opportunities.
This position will work with adult and teen volunteer programs, special events, classes, camps and as support for all other education department programs and activities that may be developed in the future. This person is responsible for ensuring that the guests, volunteers, and students participating are engaged with activities that will educate and inspire.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures and helps to create a productive, fun and positive work environment.
- Sustain a strong commitment to teamwork and communication at AWCC.
- Oversee daily operations of public education, school programs, and volunteer programs.
- Develops, promotes, schedules, and presents on-site and off-site outreach programs and events for various age groups. These programs are interactive and may include wild and domestic animals.
- Working in collaboration with the animal care staff and education departments, this position is responsible for all operations of the volunteer programs including recruiting, training and planning a docent program, design and training of new program opportunities, scheduling, and maintaining records of each of these programs, serve as primary contact for volunteer inquiries.
- Work in collaboration with management team to create and implement exciting and educational programs to increase revenue flow including STEM based animal education, animal enrichment days, beluga whale days, paint an antler days and develop additional events.
- Foster connections with wildlife and the natural world around us while highlighting the work of AWCC. Help to expand the center’s programs to reach additional non-school audiences (scouting groups and overnight excursions) and to increase use of technology to deliver information.
- Assist in training education staff, seasonal education interns and volunteers to teach all AWCC educational programs.
- Serve as manager on duty and education manager in the absence of the director of education including weekends, evenings, and some holidays. Must be available to be on site and / or on call for overnight, evening, and weekend programs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of health, care, behavior, handling, and is comfortable working around large stock animals. Will assist in helping animal care staff with husbandry care of all animals as needed.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with educational institutions. Create new relationships with UAA, UAF, and APU.
- Utilize operant conditioning to train assigned education animals.
- Coordinate with marketing department to manage web content and advertise programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS in Education or equivalent work experience.
- Must have Valid Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Learn more and apply on Handshake!