We are looking for a bright, high-energy individual with a passion for justice reform and a keen eye for detail to join Vera’s Development team as a Development Coordinator. The Development department at Vera is a diverse and growing team working to raise and manage contributions from individuals and foundations to support our various program areas.
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic professional early in their career to help shape a new fundraising and development strategy, make an impact in a distinguished organization, and be part of a fast-paced, collaborative, and enthusiastic team.
Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. We’re passionate. We’re dynamic. We’re innovative. In a nutshell, we drive meaningful change. What that means is that:
- We study problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- We pilot solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- We engage diverse communities in informed debate.
- We harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
The role of the Development Coordinator involves database management; preparation and coordination of donor communications and solicitations; gift processing and follow-up; and helping with various fundraising events. Reporting to the Development Associate, the Development Coordinator will maintain mission-critical fundraising data for Vera and ensure that the organization’s donors are appropriately and quickly acknowledged for their support.
The ideal candidate is exceptionally well-organized, energetic, extremely detail-oriented, and optimistic; able to work quickly; prioritize tasks effectively; interested in and eager to learn more about fundraising; and a self-motivated problem-solver who is able to think outside of the box.
Additionally, Vera seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Prior administrative work experience, preferably in a development or non-profit context.
- Ability to take initiative and remain flexible under tight deadlines while working in a fast-paced and complex organization.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a tight-knit team dynamic.
- Solid working knowledge of database management, Word, and Excel.
- Strong and demonstrated interest in justice reform and fundraising.
- Technologically savvy.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Learn more and apply on Handshake!