Earthjustice’s Northeast regional office is seeking an experienced full-time litigation assistant to provide administrative support to our lawyers and to conduct litigation-related research and policy analysis. The position is available immediately and is located in New York City.
Responsibilities: The Litigation Assistant will assist Northeast regional office attorneys and may help to provide back-up support for other Litigation Assistants. Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain calendar of court and administrative deadlines in assigned cases;
- Organize and maintain case files;
- Conduct empirical research and provide analysis of facts related to potential and ongoing litigation;
- Perform data analysis, including geographic information;
- Help attorneys to optimize case management in compliance with deadlines;
- Participate in litigation team meetings and client meetings;
- Prepare forms and draft simple documents for courts and agencies;
- Assist with the preparation of affidavits, declarations, and motion papers;
- Finalize court and agency documents in accordance with legal rules, including: formatting, cite- checking (i.e., checking accuracy of quotations and citations; ensuring conformity of citations to legal style book and local norms), proofreading, copying, and binding;
- Serve and file final court and agency documents (electronically and in hard copy);
- Assist attorneys preparing for and appearing in court and administrative proceedings, including evidentiary hearings, trials, and oral arguments; and
- Provide general administrative assistance (organizing meetings, taking meeting minutes, updating litigation database, communications with agencies and courts, monitoring court rules, making travel arrangements, and other office tasks).
Find out more!