Check out this new job posting for environmental science, ecology, biology, and journalism or English majors:
The Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at the University of Florida Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center is seeking an enthusiastic individual to support efforts to extend science to technical and general audiences.
The successful applicant will prepare and edit educational materials on a wide range of subjects including Everglades restoration, alligators and crocodiles, invasive species, climate change, and a variety of international topics.
The position will be full time for one year, and may be extended depending on performance and funding. The position includes working some nights and weekend days. Descriptions of ongoing research and education projects can be found on our website.
The Science Writer/Outreach Coordinator will work with scientists and managers from the University of Florida and various state and federal governmental agencies. Primary duties include editing and writing scientific papers such as refereed publications and technical reports, and developing and delivering outreach materials such as fact sheets, newsletters, presentations, posters, door hangers, websites, and social media.
The candidate will also be responsible for staffing exhibit tables at community outreach events. There will be opportunities to participate in field work (see website above for project descriptions) and for international travel.
- Degree in ecology, biology, wildlife, environmental science, journalism, or related field
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills for general and scientific audiences
- Ability to research and synthesize information on a wide range of scientific topics
- Skills in graphic design and layout
- Excellent oral communication skills and friendly personality when interacting with public
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, PowerPoint) and publication/design software (e.g., Adobe
- Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Publisher)
- Ability to work independently and with others safely in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Possession or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license
The target range is broad and will be commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience.
As soon as a suitable candidate is identified and available.
Please send letter of interest and resume or CV by email to email@example.com and use subject heading “Writer/Coordinator”.