For over four years, I’ve been tasked with finding, researching, and writing academic news stories that get to the heart of the Colorado College student experience — the classes they take, the learning they journey towards.

For a CC alumnus such as myself (a member of the legendary Class of 2012!), getting this messaging right is vital. I highly value my CC experience and the community I found here. Simply put, I would not be the person, friend, partner, or professional I am today without the four years I spent here at CC. I grew into myself here, and that’s something I don’t take lightly.

The college commissioned a recent survey of alumni engagement across all our public platforms and communication avenues. The results weren’t surprising, but they were crucial reminders of what our audience wants from CC’s storytelling. The most important thing alumni wanted to hear from Colorado College were student stories; from FYE to Commencement, across the four years. Tell the truth about what a CC experience is like, day in and day out, and get to the heart of what makes this college and that experience unique, challenging, and vital.

To me as a writer and communicator, telling that truth means a shift in how we tell our academic story. So, during Block 7, we’re having Molly Seaman ’21 — Office of Communications student worker and English major — write her classroom story.

During Block 7, Molly is taking EN381: Faulkner with Professor of English Barry Sarchett. The block immerses students in the life and works of great American author William Faulkner. Students read four of Faulkner’s major works, including “Absalom, Absalom!,” “The Reivers,” “Sanctuary,” and “The Sound and the Fury.”

The highlight of the class, however, is a week spent in Faulkner’s hometown of Oxford, Mississippi, visiting and reading in his house, Rowan Oak, as well as immersing themselves in the local community and culture that informed so much of Faulkner’s work. CC is the only college in the country that has access to Faulkner’s house for academic readings.

Handing the reins to Molly to tell the story with all the accuracy and detail it demands is the only way to do the experience of the class justice. The student classroom experience, that rhythm, pace, and level of detail in the work, demands on-the-ground reporting, and a first-person voice.

We’re so excited for Molly’s piece. Look for it online in the coming weeks.