Marshall and E.J. Sprague Scholarship
Online Application and Supplementary Materials Due Saturday, February 22 by 5:00 p.m.
The Marshall and E.J. Sprague Scholarship is made possible through anendowment to the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum Foundation in honor of Marshall and E.J. Sprague. Each year one $3,000 scholarship will be awarded to a high school student competing as an individual in the Colorado Springs Regional History Day competition held at Colorado College on Saturday, February 29, 2020. The scholarship is intended for college-related expenses. Student projects will be judged by their historical quality, the clarity of their presentation, and their demonstrated passion for history.
This scholarship is restricted to participants who are:
1) Currently in 9th through 12th grade;
2) Competing as an individual in any category at the Regional History Day competition held at Colorado College on February 29, 2020;
3) Have not previously been awarded the Sprague Scholarship.
A statement of agreement must be signed by the scholarship recipient and a parent or guardian acknowledging an intention to attend a two- or four-year, degree-granting, accredited institution and that the money will be used for college-related expenses. Students are not restricted to any specific major.
Scholarship Guidelines and Requirements
Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 22, 2020. Please carefully review the following guidelines. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that only the first 12 applications will be considered for the scholarship. Submission order will be tracked by the time stamp on the online application.
- Please complete an online application form:
- Each application should include the name and email address of one adult who is willing to complete an online recommendation form for the candidate. This should be a teacher or administrator familiar with the applicant’s academics and volunteer or work activities.
- In addition to the online application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following materials (write last name and “Sprague Scholarship” in the email subject line):
- ALL CATEGORIES (except papers): A copy of the process paper and an annotated bibliography
- PAPERS: A copy of the paper entry (including the annotated bibliography)
- DOCUMENTARIES: Including a YouTube link of the film in your application is preferred. Alternatively applicants may drop off a disc or flash drive with the film no later than Tuesday, February 25 (Drop-Off Location: Attn: Meg Poole, Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, 215 S. Tejon Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903, open Tues-Sat, 10am-5pm)
- Successful applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee. The decision of this committee is final.
- Scholarship winner will be announced at the Regional History Day award ceremony on Saturday, February 29. Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend the ceremony.
Questions? Contact Meg Poole, Program Coordinator, at 719-385-5631 or email@example.com