Interested in experiencing ancient archaeology this summer? Join Excavating Israel: The Archaeology of Ancient Judaism and Christianity – Religion 200 / Classics 222 / History 200 – Summer Session A, May 25 – Jun 25. ***
This course centers on student participation in archaeological excavations at Shikhin, an ancient Jewish village in the Galilee region of Israel. Through this field experience, students will gain training in essential methods and theories of archaeology as well as insights into the history, culture, politics and economics of the region during the Hellenistic and Roman periods. With an understanding of these contexts, students will examine the related histories of early Judaism, the ministry of Jesus, and Christian origins. In addition to their experience in the field, students will learn through assigned readings, regular evening lectures, excursions to other significant historical sites in the region, and a final weekend exploring Jerusalem. The course will be especially attentive to the benefits and challenges of correlating ancient literary sources, including biblical narratives, with the archaeological record. ***
This course offers fantastic opportunities to:
(1) participate fully in an archaeological excavation (www.samford.edu/arts-and-sciences/excavations-at-shikhin);
(2) learn about Hellenistic and Roman history, culture, and religion, especially in relation to early Judaism and the beginnings of Christianity;
(3) tour and study a range of related ancient sites in Israel, including Roman Caesarea on the Mediterranean Sea;
(4) reside in Nazareth, in the Galilee region, and experience the local culture;
(5) visit Jerusalem and develop an understanding of its rich history and continued significance for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. ***
Visit CC’s Department of Religion Facebook page for photo’s from the 2017 experience: https://www.facebook.com/CCreligion/posts/1516187245107556 ***
If you’d like further information, including a preliminary syllabus, or have questions, please contact Prof. Pam Reaves – firstname.lastname@example.org / Armstrong 121 – REGISTER BEFORE FEBRUARY 14!
Posted by email@example.com for the January 31, 2018 digest.