American Thanksgiving

the end of the table where I sat with all the vegetarian goodies

Thanksgiving dinner: the end of the table where I sat with all the vegetarian goodies

The way the school schedule fell out this year, Thanksgiving has been like another block break on the heels of the last! Because it wouldn’t make much sense to fly back to Canada when 1) it’s only for four days and 2) Canadian Thanksgiving is at another time altogether, I chose to go to my friend Jen’s house in Littleton, CO to celebrate. The main activities of the last four days have been relaxing, eating, playing in the snow (it snowed four to six inches, far more than we would ever see in Victoria, B.C.!) and steaming in the hot tub. The day after it snowed, we went down to the hill by their barn with a sled and a bunch of cardboard, and Jen’s sixteen year old brother Zane helped us make ski jumps out of packed snow — which the four dogs staying in Jen’s house promptly destroyed, but not until after we’d achieved some truly impressive air!

Thanksgiving dinner itself was a trip. My whole family back home in Canada is vegetarian, with the exception of my stepfather, so we never have turkey but usually make lots of hearty, cold-weather foods like steamed kale and baked sweet potatoes.  This year, however, I got to experience a true Thanksgiving with the turkey and all the traditional sides, including some special vegetarian stuffing (thanks to Jen’s very accommodating mom). And just in case we hadn’t overdone it with the dinner, dessert arrived in the form of lemon meringue, pecan, and pumpkin pie. We all quickly rolled ourselves to the couch and stayed there until we recovered.

Jen's mother and brother cutting down the Christmas tree

The day after Thanksgiving I got to take part in another tradition — cutting down the Christmas tree! Along with a bunch of family friends, we drove two hours outside of Littleton to the mountains. After great deliberation over which trees were the finest, we finally picked and sawed down two trees, one of which was so big it took four of us to carry it back to the truck. To celebrate, we all ate warm soup, apple crumble, and tea sitting on the backs of the trucks, and stayed for a while chatting with the other families and looking out at the gorgeous scenery. What a great Thanksgiving!

1 thought on “American Thanksgiving

1. Catherine

Savannah…I will leave it to you and your brother to go find us a tree this year…I’ll gladly provide hot cider and apple crumble! Would you decorate it too??
    …Sounds like a fabulous family to join for a fabulous weekend.