HAPPY 2009!

I know, a bit late, but what the hell! So far, things have begun kind of with a crawl. The economic situation clearly isn’t getting better. My personal life has changed pace from previous years as I am not returning to CC next week with everybody else. So, things seem to be crawling a bit. We do have a new President of the United States being inaugurated next week. Maybe things seems different and quiet because we are all holding our collective breath for that day. That day when Barack Obama takes office and shows us whether we can believe in his change he so adamantly promised throughout his campaign.

Enough politics… Back to New Years Eve… This is the first year in about a dozen that I can remember not spending the evening with multiple people. The last time I can remember was at my house with my best friend at the time watching TV and popping a bottle of sparkling grape juice. This year, while spent only with my girlfriend, was not exactly the same.

Taylor and me in the cab at midnight!

Taylor and me in the cab at midnight!

We ventured to downtown Chicago (only about 45 minutes from my house) where we ate a dinner far to upscale for the two of us and spent the night frolicking around the loop. We completely failed in finding a bar or party to go to. We were having far to much fun just the two of us. This resulted in our New Years Eve countdown being held in a Chicago cab on the Edens Expressway. We screamed to our driver from the back, “Happy New Year!!” He chuckled and said, “Hey… You were here last year!” It took me a second, but I eventually got the joke. We gave him a hefty tip for 2009 when he dropped us off.

Michigan Avenue at night in the loop

Michigan Avenue at night in the loop

Being home in Chicago is a really special thing. I find this city to be so welcoming every time I’m in it. It seems to attract a lot of college grads. I know at least a few CC grads who have ventured this way. Being here makes me hope that I can come back at some point in the future. Not now though. Colorado has far too much I haven’t seen yet.