Go Big!

Hey Everyone, 

It’s the last day of winter break and it’s been 60 degrees the last three days and looks like more of the same for next week.  I can’t tell you how happy I am to be back and see everyone, and oh yeah the weather doesn’t hurt. 

Students from CC are from all parts of the country, including some very cool cities and towns.  There is nowhere else in the world I would rather be than Colorado.  But, every once in a while you can’t help but be a little jealous of where students are from.  However, winter break is a time for other students to be jealous of me.  I skied over 15 days this winter break at some of the world’s best skiing destinations.  There has been so much snow this winter that the December snow record in Vail was broken by 40 inches and January looks to be about the same. 

I don’t think the weather could have been any better for break.  In addition to the epic snow, there have been several days over 60 degrees in Denver.  However, last week was one of my last chances to hit the slopes before lacrosse starts.  I went to Winter Park to ski with a few friends who came out early before class.  Let me preface this with I do much more back country skiing and don’t typically get ‘extreme’.  I don’t spin more than 360 degrees, I don’t flip, and I draw the line with cliffs at about 15 feet.  In fact, I don’t do flips on a trampoline or even in the pool.  However, at Ben Garner’s house in Winter Park we built a jump that started above the house that went through the driveway to a jump that dropped off into about 3 feet of snow.  After watching several of my friends flip, there was obviously no choice but to follow suit.  So, barreling down the hill into the driving I arched my back, looked back, and tucked my knees.  After what felt like time slowing down I was right side up in the snow: back flip accomplished. 

The moral of this story is that with my friends at CC, I try things I would otherwise probably shy away or back out of.  I am constantly encouraged to get out of my comfort zone and seek more fulfillment in my activities.  I don’t think I could have ever predicted the new height of my goals or the scope of my activities since coming to CC. 

Until next time, onward!

1 thought on “Go Big!