Winter Break ’09

Well, my winter break was absolutely fabulous. I have never had a more relaxing time during a school holiday — and I’m going to chalk down to the block plan, which left me with no work over the holidays! However, the very first part of my holiday was not relaxing at all… instead of one day to get home, it took me five! Which would be understandable if I lived in Chiang Mai, but I’m from Victoria BC. As I’m sure anyone who was traveling around Christmas this year can attest, weather conditions were nasty, and the airports quickly became mired in angry and anxious passengers trying to get home for the holidays. Before I left, I was talking with some friends who were flying to Bulgaria and Moscow respectively, for whom it took several days of travel to get home. Little did I expect that I’d be arriving home after they did after several days of sleeping on airport floors!

So, as you can imagine, once I got home (in time for Christmas) I was doubly grateful to be there. After some great holiday time with the family, I did all those great things you do after arriving back from time away — saw old friends, slept, read, and relaxed! I also applied for a summer job at the cafe down the street from my house. Seeing as my friends and I had all just turned the legal drinking age in Canada (19), I also got a tour of every bar and club in town! From which experience I can assure you that Victoria, BC is not currently the hottest clubbing destination in the world, but you do stand a good chance of meeting your old middle school teacher during the bar crawl.

And finally, after four great weeks at home, it was time to return back to Colorado College. It was hard to leave my friends and family in Victoria, but I was also excited to come back to CC… and the leg of the journey back was much smoother! Now I’m back at College, taking a very fun intro Spanish course, and about to go to my first modern dance adjunct class today. Its shaping up to look like a fun and busy term, destined to start off with a punch — this Friday the Student Organization for Sexual Safety that I’m a part of is putting on Speed Dating/Friendship in the new Cornerstone arts center. It’s going to be a riot. And probably pretty funny to watch. Though I’ve been told I’m participating because I’m a member of SOSS…

So. Do you like long walks on the beach?

Me and my friend Hannah, who helps me pack every time I go away. I put stuff into the suitcase, she takes it out! And I still pay overweight every time.