Acredito que uma pessoa comum pode ajudar muito…

One of the most common questions I am asked by prospective students and faculty is why I decided to attend CC. There of course are several reasons. Obviously, the Block Plan. I think it’s great for a myriad of reasons. I love Colorado. I also like the fact that it’s a small liberal arts school, with small classes, where students develop strong relationships with faculty, often publishing in peer-reviewed journals and assisting professors with graduate level research as mere undergraduates. However, the factor that  most distinguishes CC from other colleges are the students. The students here have a genuine desire to effect change and make the world a better place. It’s inspiring reading the Alumni magazine and learning that my some of my peers, wanting to ensure fair and livable wages for coffee producers and to protect the environment, started their own fair trade coffee business before even graduating. It makes me strive to be a better person in order to live up to this CC standard.

I came across a quotation from a famous Brazilian photographer the other day that does a good job summarizing CC students’ attitude towards this desire to improve our society:

“Acredito que uma pessoa comum pode ajudar muito, não apenas doando bens materiais, mas participando, sendo parte das trocas de idéias, estando realmente preocupada sobre o que está acontecendo no mundo.” –Sabastião Salgado

For those of you who don’t speak Portuguese, my rough translation is, “I believe that a common person can help a lot, not just giving material goods, but participating, being part of the exchange of ideas, being genuinely worried about what is happening in the world.”

I’ll leave on that note, so that I can begin to plan my next project to make this world just a little better than I found it.