Living in Slocum–the substance free wing.

I thought it would be nice to talk about living in the sub-free hall of Slocum.  Why?  My hall recently had a dinner at Paul York’s,the Residental Life Coordinator, apartment.  He asked us questions that were very specific to the sub-free community.  It made me question if I chose to live in the sub-free hall for the right intentions.

Being a freshman and not knowing where my niche was at CC, sub-free hall has made a very positive influence for my first year.  It’s self-selecting.  Students choose to live on this hall.   Not all of us get along, but we’re a big family.  I remember 1st block, we had dance parties (pratically) every weekend.  Unfortunately during one of our dance parties, Security had come up thinking we were under the influence–we were just having too much fun, and getting out of hand.

Looking back (as a second semester Freshman), I did wonder if being placed on the sub-free hallway was a good idea.  It was one of the best decisions I’ve made (besides choosing CC, of course).  Transitioning into college is difficult in itself, especially on the  Block Plan, and having a home that was quiet with a new family made college that much easier.  I highly recommend choosing sub-free as a freshman, especially if you’re uncertain, uncomfortable, and need some stability in a new college environment

Living on the substance-free hall does not mean you have to be substance free, it’s where you live.  As my wonderful Residential Advisor said at the beginning of the school year, “It’s not a lifestyle, it’s a home.”

peace out (it’s SPRING BREAK),

Melissa

Dance party!

Dance party!

Part of my hall getting ready for Halloween fun!

Part of my hall went to Yoo Mae for sushi!  Verrrrry good + cheap!

Part of my hall went to Yoo Mae for sushi! Verrrrry good + cheap!