The Decemberists, Block Break, and Block 8. Oh my!

Last weekend, I went to see The Decemberists play in Colorado Springs.  Oh, you haven’t heard of them?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSOzcEQjiE[/youtube]

They are probably one of my favorite bands ever! Each album, each song, and each instrument tells a story in a manner that completely absorbs me. The youtube video I posted is of their latest single “This is Why We Fight” from their album The King is Dead. I highly recommend this new album. How can you deny the beauty of lyrics like these, “When we die/We will die/With our arms unbound.” Plus, they are great live–fantastic energy and sound amazing!

Also, a really cool thing The Decemberists do when they tour is make posters for each city they tour. It’s art. The Colorado Springs poster is so awesome! (Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures because I wasn’t close enough. Being 5’2” has its pitfalls sometimes…)

Block break came and went.  I ended up staying in Colorado Springs to dog and house-sit for a professor, and finish up some work for the History Department.

And when I say dog sit, I mean I was dog-sitting for three dogs.  Above, you see Hank.  He was the most playful and wanted to be outside alllll day.  (Note to self: when I go to graduate school,  I will have a dog to keep me company)

Block 8 starts tomorrow! This means two things: 1) I will be in a very difficult class (Junior Seminar: Studying History) with Tip Ragan (one of my favorite professors), 2)Summer is coming!

This summer, I will be doing education policy research with a professor at a nearby university.  I’m excited, because this gives me a first-hand experience in something I really want to pursue in the future. I’ll update more on this once this summer.

Until next time,

Melissa

1 thought on “The Decemberists, Block Break, and Block 8. Oh my!