Summer in a nutshell

I was sitting here trying to come up with a deep, thougtful topic to write about. I was debating whether to write about politics, about the legal system, about the impact of diversity on college campuses, etc. I know I will end up writing about all of these different topics throughout the summer, because I am passionate about all of them, but while thinking about what to write about I came to another conclusion as well. It summer time. Summer is a time to relax, enjoy the Colorado weather, play tennis or soccer, basically just unwind.

There is plenty of time throughout the rest of the summer to get back to talking about controversial and interesting issues, but this week I am going to talk about how I have been able to relax this summer.

One of the main contributing factors to this summer being so relaxing is the fact that so many of my friends/co-seniors are around. Since we all just started our leases on our senior off-campus houses, a lot of us sought out jobs in the springs, or for CC, as opposed to going back home. We have been barbecuing, playing basketball, playing tennis, going to the movies, etc. We have been doing things that we don’t often get a chance to do during the year, because of all of our different involvenments in different activities, so getting a chance to all come together and play basketball has been really awesome and refreshing.

We have just recently decided to start a summer tennis league, which while sounding official, is really just a bunch of us wanting to hit around, and occasionally playing a serious game or two.

Another thing that I have noticed about the summer is that it gives you a chance to get to know people outside of the craziness of the block plan. I have started to make a lot of new friends both in my grade and outside of it based on the fact that we have gotten the opportunity to hang out and actually spend time together. The reality is that a lot of run in different circles throughout the year, so to have the opportunity to actually get to know them has been really great.

Because I don’t want to start rambling any more then I already have I will wrap it up by saying that this summer has already gotten off to an amazing start, and I know it is going to be a summer to remember in a lot of different ways. Colorado summers are amazing…

Next week I will be taking a stab at the criminal justice system in the United States, and how it has become a system riddled with racial prejudice, injustice, and disparity.