Low-vision apps

Magnifier magnifying text.
People with low vision can sometimes need text to be magnified to extremely large sizes. Image credit: bspence81 @ pixabay

I’ve been looking at apps to help someone with low-vision lately– increasing the size of text and icons on the screen and such–on Windows and Android.  It’s been somewhat difficult, as my visual impairment isn’t as extreme, so I don’t really have a point of reference. Some of the apps seem really good, but cost money for full functionality.
A couple of the apps I’ve looked at include Big Launcher, which seems good like it would be pretty good; it costs $9.99 in the US. I also looked at Claria Zoom, which seems really useful, but costs $3.99 per month.

The neat thing about Windows 10 is that I can increase the font size to 500% of what’s normal. It makes it more difficult to use, but it could be more legible. I also like Windows’ magnifier more than the iPad magnifier. There are more options to use it.

Next I need to look at voice commands for the platforms and see how well the text to speech works with voice commands. We’re not at Star Trek levels yet, where you can talk to the computer, but we’re much better than we were years ago.

What apps do you find useful for low vision accomodations?