Shove and Labyrinth Talks

It was very interesting to enter shove this afternoon with a more critical and focused eye. I felt far more able to direct my thoughts and feelings throughout the tour in a more constructive way as I was able to place it in the context of our readings and class discussions. However, parts of my experience in shove didn’t directly harken back to the readings, but instead inspired new ways of thinking about the same topics.

I found the side room with all of the references to east coast schools and old England particularly engaging. This had me thinking about sacred places from the cultural perspective Lane was talking about in the reading. I was thinking about these tiles and stones drawing from the well established symbology and associated sacredness that we attach to those places or institutions in order to increase the symbolic connections of Shove.

However, I was also thinking about the possibility of varying levels of sacredness that could exist. In other words, if a student from another university and myself took that same tour we may both recognize the place as sacred, but we may also recognize and feel that sacred presence at different levels. Because I have more personal attachment to the symbology that is present in Shove, I would argue that I am more inclined to recognize a greater amount of something sacred. To me, it seems that the level to which you identify with a sacred place has a lot to do with how close your identity and self-identification are to the symbology that is connected to that sacred place and this is the strongest argument for the cultural perspective having a significant role in the study of sacred places.