Gratitude and Wochangi

Since the very first reading of the class, Eliade’s idea of chora and kairos has been a motif for me.  These terms are respectively place and moments with unrepeatable emotional significance.  I have had chora and kairos countless times from high school track races to summiting mountains to thanksgiving dinner.  What Eliade argued and what I have taken away from this class is that experience of both chora and kairos is sacred.

Two moments stand out for me this block as particularly sacred: the third sweat and our final pipe ceremony.  During both ceremonies, I felt tremendous love and connection with the people I was with physically as well as friends and family I prayed for.  Both instances, I emerged feeling clean, energized, and almost euphoric.  I think this is because openness to and overt expression of love strengthens interpersonal bonds and self-esteem.

Celinda mentioned that ceremony of thanks and gratitude has the most wochangi.  She mentioned that giving thanks does something chemically to your mind that calms and invigorates you.  I hope to take her words and my experiences from this class with me and try to replicate them through outward expressions of gratitude.  I hope to push past cultural norms of masculinity to achieve this goal.