For Environmental News:
- Yale Environment 360
- Science Daily
- Climate Connections a podcast on how people are responding to the warming world
- National Geographic a collection of earth & environmental science related news
- Scientific American
Looking for summer research opportunities?
There are many scientists who employ undergraduate students as research assistants in the summer — sometimes this is part of a formal program (e.g. a NSF REU grant, Keck) and sometimes it is on a more ad-hoc basis. If you are interested in science and want to get more experience, nothing can beat working for a summer on a research project. To find out about upcoming opportunities check on some of the links below, subscribe to list-servs, and ask faculty here at CC. If you are interested in potentially working with me check out this page of summer research opportunities in my lab.
- Ecological Society of America, Physiological Ecology Section has a great website (with tons of internships, jobs, etc. in ecology and environmental sciences)
- CC is affiliated with the Keck Geology Consortium – they sponsor a set of projects that provide great independent research opportunities that could serve as the basis of a senior thesis. The application deadline for summer is usually in early February, so if interested, plan ahead!
- I have developed the following web resource for a project aimed at keeping women in science — there are lots of great REU resources linked to it
List-servs that you can sign up for:
Preparing for life after college. Applying for grad school? summer research positions? jobs? check out some of the links below and visit the Career Services office – they can be super helpful & provide one-on-one advice.
- The PROGRESS website has a nice compilation of Tips on applying for REUs
- A 2018 Editorial in PLOS Computational Biology provides a great set of 10 rules to follow when writing cover letters (it is directed at academics but the rules are pretty universal)
- Thinking about graduate school? This site provides information about how to prepare, how to decide where to apply, etc.