The trip of a lifetime

Night market in Xi'an. This place was extremely busy and full of people.

Night market in Xi'an. This place was extremely busy and really fun to walk around with lots of shops and food.

Once again, China has kept me so unbelievable occupied that it has been almost impossible to get a dull moment to sit down to write here. I am currently on my three week trip throughout China. We are currently staying in Lijiang – an old town in the Yunan province. Yunan is known for being the home of many of the ethnic minorities in China. Our trip has taken us to some amazing spots in China. So far, we have seen: the Terra-Cotta Warriors, the giant pandas and the Panda Research center in Chengdu, some of the muslim culture in Xi’an, and the largest buddha in the world in Leshan. Because of limited time and the wealth of information to share, I will post a series of pictures here instead of writing in depth on each place. I could write for days to be honest.

Some thoughts on the trip so far:

China is an unbelievable diverse, large, and fascinating place. Having only been on the road for about one week, we have seen some of the most major tourist spots in the country. I am consistently amazed at what I see. I am also noticing the large amount of Chinese tourists. With China’s economic boom, it seems that people here are traveling very frequently.

Thus far, it is really difficult to choose my favorite place on this trip. My favorite town is by far Lijiang. We are staying in the old town. While it is covered in gift shops and Chinese tourists, it is completely charming. It makes you feel as if you are seeing China hundreds of years ago.

Unfortunately, my camera broke while in Leshan. Thus, I do not have any pictures yet to post here from Lijiang. A friend is gathering some for me, but those may not be posted until my return to the States. My return is less that two weeks away. It seems that time has flown over here. I will likely have some time to post a few more stories and pictures once I am back. Until then, enjoy these pictures and hopefully one more post from this trip.

The giant pandas during feeding time and me. These guys were hilarious. Laziest animals on Earth.

For 100RMB you could hold a Red Panda. They look like raccoons, but are adorable.

the largest buddha in the world. It was HUGE!

Chicken-shaped dumplings in Xi'an. They didn't taste that good, but they looked cool.

Me in pit 1 at the Terr-Cotta Warriors. Just FYI - I wasn't listening to music there. I had no other place for my headphones from the bus ride!

2 thoughts on “The trip of a lifetime

1. Lisa

Hello, Please tell me where you got to pay to hold a red panda. It’s something I really want to do because they are my favorite animals and I might be going to China soon.
    Thanks!

2. Matt

Red Pandas are adorable. I was able to hold one at the Giant Panda Research Center in Chengdu, China. Chengdu is in the sichuan province.