Frankly My Dear, I Just Want to be Warm

Late last night, four of my classmates and I returned to LA after spending the weekend at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin for the first ACM Film Festival. The weekend was full of student films and cold weather. While the trip was enjoyable, it was busy and it was cold. I am from Colorado, so the cold doesn’t bother me, but for some reason, Wisconsin didn’t feel right. Upon returning late last night we were glad to return to the warmth of LA. Getting back into the van we are often stuck in for long rides in traffic, it felt comforting and normal. The same was true when I entered the apartment we are staying at for the block. It is strange to me that I found myself returning to a place that I have always thought I wanted to avoid – Los Angeles. Before this class I never thought I could spend this much time in LA and be happy about it. Returning last night made me realize that for the moment, LA is my “home” base, full of exciting adventures and great company.

Tonight a few of us went downtown for dinner and attempted to watch a movie at the RedCat theater by the Disney Concert Hall. We wandered around the downtown area for a bit searching for food. While walking we came across this area that was more pristine and had carefully designed spaces. The walk was lovely and we passed the bench from (500) Days of Summer that is currently inaccessible due to the fence around the park it is in. I always feel that it is important to walk around a new place in order to get to know it. Even though LA is large and we did not walk around that much, I feel like I have a better sense of the downtown area.

Walt Disney Concert Hall
Popularly photographed building beside the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Also, through wandering we discovered some interesting spaces. After discovering the Central Market was closed (and that many other restaurants happened to be closed on Mondays) we settled down in a restaurant with great a view. We sat outside and looking up would see tall, looming buildings. There was one in particular that looked like a flat panel standing straight up, ready to fall over with too much wind.

The view looking up

Unfortunately, the movie was sold out so we did not get the chance to see it. Regardless, the evening was enjoyable. I appreciate how throughout this class I have been slowly discovering treasures within the city. While LA is not home and I am still not sure I want it to be, for now it was been a gracious host sharing its wonders with us. For now I am content being here and am glad to be back from Wisconsin. A little warmth never hurt anybody.