WE MADE IT!

Hello whoever reads this besides Clay and Dylan!

Yesterday was our first day in Los Angeles! We had a pretty packed day but it was very doable. We started our morning exploring Union Station and the Los Angeles Plaza. We got some dank food and then met with Krista Smith from Vanity Fair. Krista was incredible! She’s so funny and has a good head on her shoulders. It was really interesting to hear about what goes into an entertainment magazine and how it’s changed with the digital era.

We ended our night at the Oscars screening of Sunrise. Going into it, I knew I didn’t like the movie. The glitz and glamour of the Academy didn’t change anything. I will say it was pretty cool to see the giant Oscar statues but throughout the entire movie I was hoping they’d come to life and put an end to my misery. I mean seriously, the film was filled with violence against women as a source of humor. That’s just not funny. Now, I understand that Sunrise is a huge deal in American film history (dream sequences, tracking shots, expressionism and realism, etc). However in a time where the Academy claims to be championing the voices of women, I found it peculiar that the president didn’t at least recognize the problematic nature of the subject matter. Rather than saying times up, this kind of felt like time’s running out but let me just get one more word in. Can we just bring up the music and play these men off the stage? I’m tired of people presenting violent images without recognizing their impact.

Okay, I didn’t mean for that to turn into a mini-rant. Sorry!

Welp, have a good day I guess!

-Olivia