browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Leap Motion

Posted by on January 28, 2013

The Leap Motion Controller is possibly one of the most exciting pieces of technology to reach consumer development in a while. I’ve been looking forward to its launch for quite some months now. I’m still debating about the possibility of buying one (they will be $69) because I still have doubts about its real potential in my everyday life beyond being a cool gadget. I just don’t see what ‘problem’ it would be solving. And yet, I bet if I had one, I could find endless things to do with it. I would not need my trackpad anymore and reaching for the keyboard would be optional and perhaps only necessary when I need to type a paper.

You see, the Leap Motion Controller and software are an evolution from the touch screen. In fact, The Leap makes the touch screen look like those all brik phones sitting next to an iphone: Antiquated and unnecessarily complicated.

Just check this video out:

The possibilities do indeed seem to be endless. You can manipulate software and your computer in ways that we could only imagine before. The best part of all is that it only uses your hands. No gloves, no extra equipment. Think of El Gato with no mice!

Professors could incorporate it in their different classes: Video editing, 3D Design, Biology, Chemistry (to manipulate models), Physics… even Theater could benefit from one of these for set design.

I think CC should just buy 2000 of these and impose their adoption upon us. I wouldn’t be one to complain.

In the mean time I look forward to seeing this substitute my trackpad in the next computer I buy in a couple of years. Goodbye touchscreen, hello LEAP Motion.