Former President Jill Tiefenthaler recorded 539 individualized videos for graduates; 524 for undergraduates and 15 for graduates in CC’s Master of Arts in Teaching program.

The idea for personalized videos came about as she and others were discussing the results of a survey CC sent to seniors and their families as to what they wanted for their graduation.

“The vast majority of the Class of 2020 was very clear that they wanted an in-person traditional graduation on campus when it was safe and they didn’t want a virtual ceremony this May,” says Tiefenthaler. “But several did say it would be nice for the class to get a video or letter from the president. I thought ‘of course I would do that, but wouldn’t it be nice to actually do it for each individually?’ I love giving them their diplomas and shaking the seniors’ hands as they walk across the stage. I thought that they deserved something as personal as that.”

In the videos, Tiefenthaler congratulates each graduate by name and includes their major and hometown in her messages to them. She tried to record 25 messages in a session, with the project taking approximately 22 hours to complete.

And the reaction to the personalized videos? “I heard everything from ‘wow’ to ‘how?’,” she says.