Around the Block-Campus News

Natanya Ann Pulley Receives NEA Creative Writing Fellowship

Photo by Anginet Page
Colorado College Assistant Professor of English Natanya Ann Pulley has been named a recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship. Pulley is one of 35 writers who will receive a 2022 Creative Writing Fellowship of $25,000. The NEA creative writing fellowships are highly competitive, with more than 2,000 applicants this year.

Pulley, who is Diné, with her clans being Kinyaa’áani (Towering House) and Táchii’nii (Red Running into Water), teaches contemporary fiction and nonfiction in courses such as Literature by Native American Writers, Experimental Forms in Ethnic Literature, and Topics in Native American Literature. She is the author of “With Teeth,” the winner of the 2018 Many Voices Project competition through New Rivers Press and has published stories in The Massachusetts Review, Phantom Drift, Split Lip, and The Offing, among others. Her most recent anthologized essays are included in “Shapes of Native Nonfiction” and “The Diné Reader.” Pulley also is the founding editor of Hairstreak Butterfly Review.

The Communications Student Advisory Council Needs You!

Students: Apply now for the PAID position on the Communications Student Advisory Council. Provide your perspective and first-person experience to help inform CC’s strategic communications as well as direct insights into the gaps in college messaging and institutional campaigns. You’ll work directly with the Office of Communications team to incorporate your student experience into storytelling across all of our communications channels, and will contribute your thoughts on how the institutional efforts of the college impact the day-to-day lives of students. Learn more and submit an application.

Get to Know … Jessi Burns ’06, CC Content and Social Media Manager

Photo by Lonnie Timmons III

What does your job entail?
I am the go-to resource for all things related to social media at CC. I manage the college’s overall social media plan and strategy, as well as support other social media managers on campus. I also help with writing stories and internal communications.
Where did you work before CC and what were you doing?
I have spent my career managing marketing and communications for nonprofits, including an open space organization, library, and animal shelter. Most recently, I spent time living and working in the Colorado mountains in the tiny town of Tabernash, just outside Winter Park.

Tell us a little about your background.
I grew up in Colorado Springs. I am a Colorado College alumna and graduated in 2006 with a degree in anthropology, focusing on archaeology. After some time working in the field, I decided I wanted to pursue something where I could be a little more creative. That led me to obtain an M.S. in communications from Pepperdine University where I studied mass media, rhetoric, and social change.
What do you like to do when not working?
In my spare time, you’ll find me exploring new hiking trails, playing with my dogs Andromeda and Winston, or traveling to remote places in the world with my husband, Matt.
Wild card: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I wanted to work with animals, so thought I would become a veterinarian or a zookeeper. However, I quickly I realized I don’t like things like blood and surgery, so I decided to just surround myself with animals instead. I’ve had many pets throughout my life including dogs, cats, bunnies, rats, fish, frogs, and even an African pygmy hedgehog. Next on the list is chickens!

Professor Heidi Lewis’ article “On Banning Critical Race Theory in Schools” in Ms. Magazine 

Associate Professor of Feminist and Gender Studies Heidi R. Lewis recently wrote an article for Ms. Magazine, “On Banning Critical Race Theory in Schools: ‘The Pursuit of a More Just World’ Requires Confronting Racism and Privilege.” In the article, Lewis says, “… storytelling is a CRT methodology I practice and appreciate. However, some argue we should be careful about relying on storytelling more than empirical research. I understand that as I simultaneously caution us to think carefully about whose stories we do and don’t believe and how race and racism impact that, along with gender, sexuality, class, and other ways of being.”

‘Best of the Springs’ Nominations and Voting

Once again, Colorado College has been nominated in four categories for “Best of the Springs 2022!”

Voting continues through Feb. 13. If you feel so inclined, please take a look and vote!

Photo of the Week

Photo by Lonnie Timmons III 
Theodor Hopfer ’25 greets Sophia Assail ’25 while eating lunch in Worner Quad. In response to current COVID 19 protocols, students eat lunch outside on a relatively warm Thursday, January 13, 2022. They picked up box meals from Rastall Café.

powered by emma