CC Receives $1 Million Grant for Social Justice Curriculum

Explore the Complexity of Race in Social Protest with ‘The Raid’

Through the month of February, communities across the nation celebrate the achievements of and by Black Americans in recognition of their central role throughout U.S. history. Colorado College is committed to telling these stories year-round. Find stories and learn more about CC’s antiracism commitment.
In celebration of this year’s Black History Month, the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College is showcasing Black artists and Black voices in a variety of events and programs both virtual and in-person. This week, the FAC is re-releasing a virtual reading of Director Idris Goodwin’s historical drama “The Raid,” recorded in 2021. It’s available here Feb. 1-19. A thought-provoking 163-year flashback to a debate between iconic abolitionists John Brown and Frederick Douglass on the eve of Brown’s raid on the federal armory in Harpers Ferry, “The Raid” examines the complexity of race in social protest, digs into what it means to be an ally versus an accomplice, and lays bare the limits of radicalism.

CC Receives Mellon Foundation Grant

$1 Million Grant Addresses Demand for Diversity, Social Justice in Higher Ed and Need for Better Engagement with Humanities

Colorado College has been selected as one of the recipients of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s Humanities for All Times grant. This initiative will support the college’s new General Education curriculum to not only teach students about social justice issues, but also give them the tools to tackle injustices head-on.

CC will receive $1,024,000 over three years for its project “Humanities for Our Times: From Epistemologies and Methodologies to Liberatory Creative Practices and Social Justice” which supports professional development for humanities faculty engaged with Colorado College’s new GE curriculum and ongoing work toward becoming an antiracist institution.

Autumn Rivera ’04, MAT ’05 Finalist for National Teacher of the Year

Autumn Rivera, a Colorado College Class of ’04 biology graduate who also earned a Master of Arts in Teaching at CC in 2005, was named Colorado’s 2022 Teacher of the Year in October. Rivera is a science teacher at Glenwood Springs Middle School in Roaring ForkSchool District, where she has taught sixth grade for nine years. Now she is one of four finalists for the National Teacher of the Year award.

During her more than 16 years as an educator, Rivera has worked with students from elementary to postgraduate levels. She is a member of the Colorado Science Conference Planning Committee and the Steering Committee with the Colorado Science Education Network. She is the Region 3 Elementary Board representative for the Colorado Association of Science Teachers and volunteers with the American Association of Chemistry Teachers.

“I know I would not be where I am today without the foundation I built at CC,” she says. “The Block Plan taught me to really push myself to perform at a high level in a short amount of time. The lessons I learned in the MAT program taught me to always think outside the box and find ways to challenge my students to make changes in their world right now.”

As Teacher of the Year, Rivera represents the entire profession in Colorado. Rivera, along with the country’s other teachers of the year, will be honored at a ceremony at the White House and get the opportunity to go to NASA’s Space Camp. She also is a member of the Colorado Education Commissioner’s Teacher Cabinet.

Vernon Named NCHC Goalie of the Week

Matt Vernon ’23 has been named the National Collegiate Hockey Conference Goaltender of the Week after backstopping the Tigers to a split against No. 16 Omaha last weekend. On Friday, Vernon tied his season high with 31 saves and earned his first win of the season in a 4-1 victory over the Mavericks.

The following night, Vernon made 27 saves in a hard-fought, 3-2 loss.

Vernon totaled 58 saves on the weekend, facing 62 shots for a .935 saves percentage, while compiling a 2.04 goals-against average. On the season, Vernon is 1-4-1 with a .930 saves percentage and a 2.15 goals-against average.

This is Vernon’s first NCHC Goaltender of the Week award this season, but he was a two-time Rookie of the Week as a first-year.

Catch CC Hockey on TV

If you can’t make it to Ed Robson Arena to see the Colorado College hockey team live, you can watch the following games on TV:
Friday, Feb. 4, vs. Western Michigan, 7:30 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)
Friday, Feb. 11, at North Dakota, 6 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)
Friday, Feb. 18, vs. Miami University, 7:30 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)
Saturday, Feb. 19, vs. Miami University, 6 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)
Friday, March 4, vs. University of Denver, 7:30 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)

CC Thesis Specialist Mia Alvarado Publishes Provocative Essay in The Georgia Review

Mary Margaret (Mia) Alvarado, thesis writing specialist in the Colket Center for Academic Excellence at CC, published a lyric essay in The Georgia Review that delves into new primitivism in the digital age. “It is striking that while our lives are so disembodied in some ways by the digital age, the experiences around birth and nursing remain largely unchanged,” Alvarado says.

Alvarado, who has her MFA in nonfiction from the University of Iowa, was a senior instructor in creative writing and rhetoric at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs before coming to Colorado College. She uses her background in poetry and creative writing to help thesis students by encouraging them to slow down and bask in “the art of questions.” Teaching students how to ask better questions, then question those questions before arriving at a conclusion, gives them time to wander in the process and really explore the subject, she says. “Our negative knowledge is just as important as our positive knowledge.”

Get to Know … Katrina Beltz, CC Antiracism Programs Coordinator

Photo by Chuck Bigger
What does your job entail?
I am here to provide student-centered education, programming, and organizational leadership to the Butler Center in its mission to provide an inclusive and respectful academic and work environment. My job is to provide students with advising, personal counseling, and support for holistic and healthy identity development, particularly around Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI, and multiracial identity.
Where did you work before CC and what were you doing?
Before I came to CC, I worked at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs as a graduate assistant in the Scholarships Office. There I supported my colleagues in scholarship programming and processed scholarships for students.
Tell us a little about your background.
I am from Holland, Michigan, and graduated with a bachelor’s in psychology and sociology from Hope College —a small liberal arts college. I value diversity and creating an inclusive environment of belonging on campus. This value led me to be involved with multicultural student organizations to help normalize the presence and diverse cultures of BIPOC students.
What do you like to do when not working?  
When I am not working, I like to go on hikes and explore the mountains with my husband, Caleb, and our dog, Josie. I love eating and trying different foods. Thankfully, I also love dance fitness (Zumba, Mixxed Fit, SocaFit) to shake off the calories accumulated by restaurant hopping.
Wild card: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I was obsessed with becoming a figure skater. Michele Kwan was my idol, and I wanted a Zuca bag like all the other cool skaters. That dream ended quickly though, when I realized I was not skinny enough (by society’s standards) or rich enough to go very far.

The Winter 2021-22 Issue of the Bulletin is Out Now

The Winter 2021-22 issue of the Bulletin — CC’s alumni magazine — is now out. In this issue, read about a new space in Ed Robson Arena that honors Kelley Dolphus Stroud ’31, one of CC’s first Black alumni; how an adapted Priddy Experience allowed incoming students to connect to Colorado Springs; and an insider view of the enduring community spirit at CC despite the Coronavirus pandemic.

powered by emma