Around the Block Campus News

‘Boy mother/faceless bloom’ by Juni One Set: World Premiere

photos by Wolf Daniel courtesy of Roulette Intermedium
“Boy mother / faceless bloom” is a multimedia performance work combining large-scale sculptural and scenic design, live and recorded music, and embodied movement to tell the story of a young boy who learns he will be a mother. The world premiere will be at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College Feb. 24-27, Drawing upon the combined, personal mythologies of Senga Nengudi, Eddy Kwon, Crow Nishimura, and Joshua Kohl, “Boy mother / faceless bloom” explores transgender identity, parenthood, and ancestral lineage in a time of planetary crisis, as well as the spiritual legacies of colonialism, imperialism, and ideologies of domination through a mosaic of autobiography, mythology, and collective inquiries.
The piece has been co-created by Juni One Set through an intensely collaborative process over the span of three years. Intuitive play, loving conversations, and a deep sense of trust allowed for the generative convergence of diverse artistic practices, cultural backgrounds, gender experiences, age, ability, and geographies.
The project is supported by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation through a residency at the Fine Arts Center. Tickets can be purchased here.

So Proud of CC’s Izzy Atkin

Photo courtesy Team GB / Andy J Ryan Photos
After breaking her pelvis in December, CC student Isabel “Izzy” Atkin recovered well enough to join her teammates in Beijing for the Olympics. Sadly, Atkin suffered a medical setback that caused her to withdraw from competing altogether in these Olympic Games. We are no less proud of her, so help us celebrate Atkin for her incredible hard work and dedication in qualifying for the second time for the Winter Olympic Games! Go Izzy!

Black History at CC

Siblings Effie Stroud Frazier ’31 and Kelley Dolphus Stroud ’31 persevered through hardship and discrimination and were among the first African-American students to graduate from Colorado College, both of them in 1931. They had excelled at Colorado Springs High School (now William J. Palmer High School) in the late 1920s. Their achievements and promise were recognized by local businessman Henry Sachs, who provided scholarships so they could both attend Colorado College. CC’s Stroud Scholars program is named in honor of Effie and Kelley. The Kelley Dolphus Stroud ’31 Club Level on the fourth floor of CC’s Ed Robson Arena honors the family’s legacy with photos and text, an exhibit which is open to members of the CC and broader community during arena events and regular business hours. Learn more about Effie Stroud Frazier ’31 and Kelley Dolphus Stroud ’31 on the “Untold Stories” website.
Through the month of February, communities across the nation celebrate the achievements of and by Black Americans in recognition of their central role throughout U.S. history. Colorado College is committed to telling these stories year-round.

Get to Know… Keri Sanchez, Head Coach Women’s Soccer

What does your job entail?  
As a head soccer coach, you oversee all aspects of the program. I equate it to being a small business owner. You manage staff and players, budget, travel, equipment, scheduling games and practice, game operations, health and safety (ever-changing during the pandemic), training programs, academics, leadership training, social media, alumni relations, recruiting, etc. There are a lot of details that need to be consistently monitored in order to run a successful team.
Where did you work before CC and what were you doing?
I started my coaching career as an assistant soccer coach at the University of Oregon. Next, I became the head coach and associate PE professor at Claremont McKenna-Harvey Mudd-Scripps colleges. My next position was as an assistant coach at the University of Texas at Austin. And, lastly, I just came from being a head women’s soccer coach and assistant professor at Illinois Wesleyan University. All of my previous positions have been in soccer coaching so duties were similar to what I am doing now at CC.
Tell us a little about your background.
I was born here in Colorado and moved at the age of 8 to San Jose, California. I attended undergrad at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, where I was a two-sport athlete in soccer and track and field. I won four National Championships in soccer at UNC. I was a part of the U.S. Women’s National Team Pool for several years. And I was fortunate enough to play professional soccer in the first two leagues in the United States – Women’s United soccer Associan and  Women’s Professional Soccer. I received my master’s degree from the University of Oregon.

What do you like to do when not working?  
I still love to play sports of all kinds and I love to be outside. I still play ice hockey and soccer when I can. I have added pickleball as a new sport this past fall. I like to hike and bike and take my dog for walks. And now that I live closer to family, I enjoy spending time with them.

Wild card: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a doctor or a professional athlete — at that time hockey or football.

CC President L. Song Richardson Named as Wild Card for Biden Supreme Court Nomination List

We are incredibly proud that President L. Song Richardson is included in the Washington Post’s list of the likeliest people to get Biden’s Supreme Court nomination.

According to Paul Butler, “L. Song Richardson is the president of Colorado College and a former dean of University of California at Irvine Law School. She’s a highly respected legal scholar, and her appointment would be a two-fer. There has never been a Black woman or an Asian American justice. Richardson is both. So, for the record is Vice President Harris … but she already has a good government job.”

Photo of the Week

Photo by Lonnie Timmons III

Fiona Swope ’22 and Will Abbey ’22 high five at the Student Research Symposium in Cornerstone Arts Center on Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2022. The symposium brings students, faculty, and families together for a series of short presentations, poster sessions, and discussions across a variety of academic disciplines.

powered by emma