Around the Block – Welcome Back to Campus, We Missed You!

The Journey to Labor Day Recognition

Labor Day originated in the late 1800s when passionate labor activists championed for a national holiday to honor the incredible contributions of workers in strengthening America’s prosperity and well-being. Before gaining widespread recognition, Labor Day received support from both labor activists and several individual states. This movement gained momentum after local regulations were put in place in 1885 and 1886.
The journey to gaining recognition at the state level began with New York introducing a bill, followed by Oregon passing a law in early 1887, to formally recognize Labor Day. Throughout 1887, four more states—Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York—passed laws to establish Labor Day as a dedicated holiday. This trend continued and, by the end of the decade, Connecticut, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania also embraced this special day.

By 1894, an additional 23 states had joined in celebrating this holiday. The turning point arrived on June 28, 1894, when Congress officially designated the first Monday of September each year as Labor Day, a legal holiday to honor the contributions of workers.

While many businesses and institutions enjoy a Labor Day break, we at CC keep our campus buzzing with activity! Our unique Block Plan means students use this time for their academic needs. CC is all about ensuring our staff and faculty get the rest they deserve, and our students have a breather between blocks, which is why we offer a generous 24 days off per year for employees (outside of vacation time and sick leave), with Block Breaks for our students and faculty to unwind.

Lowrider Show and Mi Gente Opening Celebration Tomorrow

ID: green infographic with text about the Lowrider Show and Mi Gente opening
Join us for a lowrider car show and opening celebration of Mi Gente Saturday, Sept. 2 from 12-4 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center parking lot. This event will include kid-friendly art activities, live music, a performance by Ballet Folklórico de Barajas, and food for purchase from local businesses. This event is free and open to the public, but reservations are strongly recommended.

Please note that parking for this event will be located in the Ed Robson Arena parking garage at 114 E Dale St. Shuttles will run regularly between the parking garage and the event. Otherwise, you may walk to the event, which is located at 30 W. Dale St.

Alum Uses CC Student Organization Experience to Prepare for Peace Corps

ID: young caucasian man in black pants and red polo shirt, standing in a blue classroom with the chairs on the desks, looking at the camer. The man has dark short hair, is tall and lanky, and is wearing a watch on his left arm.

Charles Hall ’22 in his classroom in southern Costa Rica. 

Photo submitted by Charles Hall.
By Julia Fennell ’21
Charles Hall ’22, a political science major, has found a unique path to combine his passion for helping students learn English and his aspiration for overseas experience by teaching with the Peace Corps. Hall is teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) in Costa Rica, marking the first TEFL volunteer group’s return to the country since the COVID-19 pandemic.
Originally intending to serve in North Macedonia, Hall was delighted when he unexpectedly found himself selected for a role in Costa Rica. “I initially put down for an opening to serve in North Macedonia doing Economic Development, as I assumed Eastern Europe would be less competitive and more niche. However, to my surprise and pleasure, I was selected to teach English in Costa Rica instead. This was a better fit as I had taken some Spanish classes at Colorado College and had experience working with kids.”
Now residing in southern Costa Rica near the Panama border, Hall works full-time at a local elementary school near the village, where he focuses on teaching English to students, increasing local teachers’ English proficiency, and creating opportunities for people in the community to learn English. He credits the transformative Block Plan curriculum for his newfound linguistic abilities, making him resilient and compassionate in facing the challenges of Peace Corps service while cherishing cultural exchanges during his downtime.

Get to Know… Vicente Blas-Taijeron, CCSGA President

ID: an asian man with black glasses, mustache and beard, wearing pink trousers, a black jacket buttoned up, white shoes, and white and paisley bandana on his head. He is making a peace sign with his right hand and looking at the camera
What does your job entail?   
As Student Body President, I first and foremost listen to and serve the students of Colorado College. I promote activism to improve and provide solutions to campus issues, lead CCSGA full council meetings and try to create spaces that foster more joy and community on campus.
Where did you do before CC and what were you doing? 
Last year, I served as the Student Trustee and CCSGA Finance DEI Lead among many other things. As Student Trustee, I amplified student concerns such as housing and mental health through collective activism, as well as created and promoted the funding of numerous events that celebrated the diversity of our community through my role as a DEI Lead.
Tell us a little about your background. 
I am a proud Pacific Islander, specifically, a CHamoru from the island of Guam, and I moved to the continental United States during sophomore year to attain my higher education. I am a Feminist and Gender Studies major, and Race, Ethnicity and Migration Studies minor. I enjoy art and dance as a means of allowing myself to express that which I am too nervous or fatigued to say, and both mediums have become a big part of my life recently. Bonus fact: My favorite animal is the koi fish!
What do you like to do when not working?   
When I don’t have meetings or work or assignments, I enjoy going to Cossitt Hall and just moving, trying to process through life’s many struggles and emote through dance. I also enjoy cooking—I ‘ve been told I’m not too shabby in the kitchen. Some of my favorite meals to cook are from my homeland so things like Kaddon Pika (Spicy Coconut Chicken Soup) and Buñelos Uhang (Shrimp and Vegetable fritters). 
Wild card: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? 
I wanted to be a dancing pastry chef. I’ve always been a big kid who loves to throw down in the kitchen, so I was so crazy over baking when I was little!
Read about Blas-Taijeron’s experience in Berlin as a recipient of the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.

Registration is Open for Bemis School of Art Fall Classes

Whatever your artistic interest, age, or skill level, we have classes to drive your passions. Experienced artists and art instructors, large studios, and limited class size create a motivational and supportive environment to explore and develop your talents.
Visit our website for more information and to register for classes.

Photo of the Week

ID: a young caucasian girl in shorts and tank top carrying a guitar in one hand and holding the handle of a floral suitcase with the other, walking. Older folx with bins and more luggage behind her, all in front of a large stone building.

First year student Ella Dill ’27, and her parents behind her, moving into South Hall on New Student Move-In Day, Aug. 21. 
Photo by Lonnie Timmons III
powered by emma