Around the Block – Campus News

Around the Block logo

Colorado Department of Higher Education Stands With CC

ID: infographic stating Statement from the Colorado Department of Higher Education
The Colorado Department of Higher Education is urging other postsecondary institutions in the state to follow Colorado College’s lead in implementing initiatives like our new Healing and Affirming Village and Empowerment Network (HAVEN).

The organization released a statement applauding CC’s new transfer program that offers a safe haven for students from states that have passed anti-DEI legislation, commending President L. Song Richardson’s “powerful vision” of creating accessibility. Read the entire statement.

Save the Date for the next Work of the College Series event on how to build an incoming class

Come learn about how CC utilizes a holistic evaluation process that builds the incoming class of students each year. Join Mark Hatch and Karen Kristof from the Office of Admission for the next Work of the College Series event, “Admission: Building a Class”, on Friday, Oct. 6, from 2-3 p.m., in Gaylord Hall. Register in advance to save your spot. 

CC Grad Connects Japanese American Identity with JET Award

ID: young woman of mixed ethnicities in a field of flowers, wearing khaki pants and pink and blue striped shirt, smiling at the camera ID: young woman of mixed ethnicities wearing a peach colored shirt standing in front of a sign with a face and some japanese writing ID: young woman of mixed ethnicities standing in front of a pagoda, smiling at the camera
By Julia Fennell ’21
Tia Vierling ’22 recently returned to the U.S. after a 13-month stint in Japan, where she taught English through the JET Program. Her motivation stemmed from her family’s Japanese heritage and her desire to reclaim lost language connections. “My choice to take Japanese at CC in my senior year was driven partly by the loss of that language between generations in my family. I wanted to gain some of that knowledge back,” Vierling says.
Vierling applied to both the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Award to Kenya and the Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program and ultimately withdrew her Fulbright application after accepting the position with JET. Vierling says both programs are competitive but there aren’t any English teaching Fulbright positions offered in Japan; JET, which is run by the Japanese government, fills that role.
Read more about Vierling’s experience.

Get to Know Megan Clancy (she/her) Senior Writer & Editor of Marketing & Communications

ID: Caucasian women with hair pulled back from her face, sunglasses on top of her head, snow covered mountains and landscape with trees in the background, smiling
What does your job entail?  
It feels like there is something new every day. I work on most of CC’s marketing and communication initiatives. I edit the external and internal communications that come out of or through our office and write many of the stories about events on campus or involving CC community members. I am also the editor for CC’s newest publication, The Peak. I’m sure there is something else I’m missing. Oh ya, I attend meetings!

Where did you work before CC and what were you doing?
Before returning to CC, I was a high school English teacher and then a book coach helping mom authors write their novels.

Tell us a little about your background.
I graduated from CC in 2007 with a degree in English on the Creative Writing track and as a four-year member of the women’s basketball team. I then moved to Melbourne, Australia, where I earned my MFA in Creative Writing. In Australia, I taught English and coached basketball before moving to teach in Nepal. Afterward, I returned to the States and taught high school English in San Diego and the Bay Area before leaving the classroom to write full-time and be at home with my kids. I am so excited to be back in Colorado, back at CC, and back with the community I love.

What do you like to do when not working?  
When I’m not working, I’m usually spending time with my two young kids. If there is any free time outside of that, I love to read and write, bake and decorate cakes, enjoy a nice glass of wine or dark beer, and do pretty much anything outside (hike, camp, SUP, ski). I also love to travel and am forever looking for that next adventure. Oh, and I’m always up for a game of basketball.

Wild card: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A cartoonist, a veterinarian, a marine biologist, a photographer for National Geographic, a reporter, a surgeon, a presidential speech writer (we were a very political household), foreign diplomat, and, at one point, I was pretty set on being a horse.

CC Students Lead Politically Diverse Debate

ID: Young man of color wearing a dark suit and red tie, standing at a podium, black background

Zoraiz Zafar ’24 represents the Libertarian position in the Courageous Conversations debate on Sept. 15.

Photo by Sienna Busby ’24.
ID: Young blond woman in a light colored sweater, standing at a podium, black background

Caitlin Soch ’24 represents the Liberal position in the Courageous Conversations debate on Sept. 15.

Photo by Sienna Busby ’24.
By Megan Clancy ’07

In a world of increasing political polarity, it’s reassuring to know that there are still places where civil discourse can happen across party lines. Thankfully, one of those places is Colorado College.

On the evening of Friday, September 15, a group of students came together in Taylor Theatre on the CC campus to witness two of their classmates discuss and debate some of the most important topics affecting our country today. Zoraiz Zafar ’24, a Mathematical Economics major, argued the Libertarian position while Caitlin Soch ’24, an International Political Economy major, debated the progressive side.

The event was completely student-organized and student-run. From pre-event marketing to lights, sound, photography, and video on the night, it was all CC students. The debate was hosted by Cutler Publications, the independent, student-run non-profit that funds and oversees CC’s student publications (including the student newspaper, The Catalyst), and the planning and production was done by a group of students headed by Cutler Publications President, Zeke Lloyd ’24.

“We wanted to host an event for young professionals in our community, an opportunity for students to transform into videographers, moderators, journalists, and political experts,” Lloyd says. “We also wanted to educate and inform the student body on the range of perspectives which exist not only around the country, but also right here on campus.”

The moderators for the evening were Catalyst Co-Editor in Chief, Isabella Ingersoll ’25 and Catalyst News Editor, Marynn Krull ’26. The event crew was completed by Debate Fact Checker, and Catalyst Co-Editor in Chief, Michael Braithwaite ’24, who was at stage-right with his computer, at the ready for any clarification or fact-checking needs. The theater was entirely full with CC students.

“The purpose of this evening is to encourage intellectual conversation outside of the classroom,” Ingersoll stated during her opening remarks. “We want to showcase the unique ideas of this generations thinkers.”

Visit The Peak to read the entire story and watch a recording of the debate.

Fine Arts Center Corner

Libation Lecture: Musings of Chicana Feminist from the Anthropocene

Join us tonight, Friday, Sept. 29, at 5:30 p.m. for the Libation Lecture with Nancy Ríos, CC Mobile Arts Co-Director and independent scholar, and enjoy the themed drink of the night – green chili mules!
Coinciding with Mi Gente: Manifestations of Community in the Southwest, an exhibition currently on view at the FAC, join us for our next Libation Lecture. Local murals, with their multiple and layered meanings, is the topic of this lecture by CC Mobile Arts Co-Director and independent scholar, Nancy Ríos. Using local murals, Ríos will engage the audience in discussion about how walls in our built environment tell stories about people and their communities.
Libation Lectures is a lecture series offering an educational twist to the traditional happy hour. Each lecture explores an aspect of the amazing art and featured artists from various Fine Arts Center exhibitions served up with a themed drink to help you dive deep into the topic.
Tickets are $10 for FAC members, $15 for non-members. Price includes your first drink. Purchase tickets here.

Photo of the Week

ID: young people working at tables doing screen printing and block printing

Students participating in the Upcycle Your Look event, organized by CC Arts and Crafts, where they got a chance to learn techniques such as block printing and screen printing, on Tuesday, Aug. 22.
Photo by Mila Naumovska ’26  
powered by emma