Below are the locations of the 7 state facilities in Cañon City in the order of their emergence. For more information on a specific facility, links are included with the markers.
- Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility – built in 1871
- Skyline Correctional Center – built in 1964
- Fremont Correctional Facility – built in 1980
- Centennial Correctional Facility – built in 1980
- Four Mile Correctional Center – built in 1981
- Arrowhead Correctional Center – built in 1990
- Colorado State Penitentiary – built in 1993
Note: not pictured is Colorado State Penitentiary II, which opened in 2010 to house the growing prison population, but was closed in 2013 due to a lack of inmates. There is also a pre-release center in Cañon which opened in 1983.
Below are the four federal penitentiaries in Fremont County:
- Federal Prison Camp – opened in 1991
- Federal Correctional Institution, Medium Security – opened in 1993
- United States Penitentiary, High Security – opened in 1994
- United States Penitentiary, ADX – opened in 1994