Thursday, July 25

Interview with Edwin Toshio Hamada: Assistant VP for the Residential Experience

By Kelly Yue

Edwin Toshio Hamada joined Colorado College on September 1 as our new Assistant Vice President for the Residential Experience. He identifies as a Japanese-American and is beyond excited to join CC’s tight-knit community after previously working at numerous larger public universities.

We started off the interview with a typical CC icebreaker question: “If you could be an item in the kitchen, what would it be?” Edwin said he would be a coffee maker or Espresso machine. “Being a Northwest transplant from California converted me into a coffee fanatic,” he shared.

To delve into Edwin’s personal story, we asked about his favorite dish to make. It didn’t take him long to think: Hamada chicken. Edwin and his wife use a teriyaki chicken recipe handed down to them by his mom. They would often make this dish for his staff potlucks, making “Hamada chicken” their famous potluck dish. “It was a lot of work!” Edwin said.

When asked about the one thing he wants to do after the pandemic, Edwin’s answer was to go out to restaurants since ordering takeouts doesn’t give him the entire dining experience. He has heard wonderful things about dining options in Colorado Springs and is eager to try them.

“Where do you call home?” Edwin claims Southern California as his home, but he also spent a good amount of time in the Northwest (5 years in Seattle and 18 years in Pullman). He said it is the people that make a place home. While the physical beauty of an area adds to a sense of comfort, “home really is about the people.” Colorado Springs is a beautiful place but he thinks it is the relationships he is forging that make this place home. “Although, honestly, if I can get unpacked, it will definitely feel more like I’m home and not just visiting.” 

We moved on to ask about Edwin’s racial and ethnic identity. He said, “Growing up in a Japanese household, you often spend your time trying to be ‘American’.  I rejected all the Japanese culture my mom ‘forced’ upon me…years of Japanese school, kendo (martial art), shuji (calligraphy), soroban (abacus)…things that I regret not taking more seriously.  Ironically, I was the youngest of 3 and the only one that went by my Japanese middle name until college.  But there comes a time in your life that you understand and define your identity and realize what makes you special.  For me, being a son of immigrant Japanese gave me a unique perspective that helped me become a better leader.  Being true to yourself is vital to being an authentic leader.”

To close off the interview, we asked about how he wishes to engage with the Asian/Pacific Islander community on campus. He said he loves working in a college environment and cherishes the time spent with students and staff. He will always make time for students and go out of his way to be a resource for fellow Asian/Pacific Islander students. “If you want to chat, I welcome the opportunity!”

Edwin’s commitment to his new role and to the Asian/Pacific Islander student body was reflected when he replied to our initial interview invitation – “I am totally swamped but am very committed to helping out a fellow Asian/AAPI sister.” We thank Edwin for his time and we look forward to “seeing” him soon!