My First Post

Hello readers! If you don’t already know, this is a blog about physics, especially pertaining to astronomy and life in the universe. I’ll be focusing primarily on scientific topics, although this blog will also include a review of at least one science fiction book and one science fiction movie.
But before I get into any of that good stuff, I think I’ll answer the burning question on all of your minds: who the hell am I?
My name is Forrest Corcoran and I’m a first year student at Colorado College. My first year class at Colorado College (which uses the unique Block System) is…you guessed it, topics in Physics: Life in the Universe.
Before taking this class, I took two physics classes in high school. The first was a remedial physics class that I took as a sophomore. It covered the very basics of physics, such as basic mechanics, electromagnetic theory, and wave mechanics. The second physics class I took was a senior elective where I focused on the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.
Although I’m currently a physics student, my primary interest in life is not science. I plan on majoring in business or economics. I feel, or at least hope, that my interpersonal skills and “fiscal understanding”, for lack of a better term, will benefit me well in either of these two fields.
I was born and raised in a suburb in Connecticut, just outside of Hartford, in the town of Farmington. For those of you unfamiliar with the geography of Connecticut, (almost all of you I assume) here’s a map of the area.

At the ripe age of 14, I left my cozy little hometown to attend boarding school at Phillip’s Exeter Academy, where I spent four years living and learning in Wentworth Hall dormitory.
I played both football and lacrosse in high school, along with a short, two-year stint on the JV hockey team. Of these three sports, my passion was always lacrosse. I play four years on the varsity squad and attained the rank of captain my senior year. I’ll be continuing my lacrosse career here at my new home in Colorado Springs.
All of this having been said, I feel it’s imperative to purvey one important detail about myself: I am NOT a “lax bro”; I’m a lacrosse player. I don’t wear pastel shorts and lax pennies, rain or shine. I don’t have long hair, or talk like a meathead with marbles rolling around in my skull. I hate the stereotype that follows lacrosse players around like a plague and I try to avoid being that guy every chance I get.
Hopefully this gives you, as the reader, a general sense of what type of guy I am, and a little bit about my background, both in and out of the classroom.
Getting back to the topic of physics, I suppose I’ll let you know what I hope and expect to get out of Topics in Physics: Life in the Universe. My hope is to attain a greater understanding of what makes us, as humans, the way we are, from a biological stand point. I also hope to better understand the broad and unknown universe in which we live.
I recently became very interested in the topic of extraterrestrial life from the now infamous YouTube video in which a former Minister of Defense for the Canadian Parliament, Hon. Paul Hellyer, speaks in front of the US Congress, claiming to know of many different alien species, at least four of whom have been visiting earth for thousands of years. He goes on to even name several of the species and the solar systems from which they derive. While this all seems very shocking, it is nothing compare to his statement that at least two extraterrestrial are working inside the United States government. Here is a link to the entire 25-minute speech.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX06nI04j0g
The idea of extraterrestrial life has been glamorized by moviemakers and science fiction writers to the point that aliens are often lumped in with Bigfoot, the chupacabra, the Loch Ness Monster, and the Easter Bunny. However, it is my distinct belief that intelligent alien life must exist somewhere in the universe. I can only hope to live long enough to experience the finding and realization of life outside our solar system.