Sci-fi Novels

What sci-fi novel are you reading and why?

In the comments, using the MLA style of bibliographic citation, list the book you are read for the class and explain in a few sentences why you chose it. Sign with your real first name.

Bibliography format:

Author’s last name, first name. Book title. Additional information. City of publication: Publishing company, publication date.

Example:

Searles, Baird, and Martin Last. A Reader’s Guide to Science Fiction. New York: Facts on File, Inc., 1979.

15 thoughts on “Sci-fi Novels

1. Sagan, Carl. Contact: A Novel. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1985. Print.

I chose this novel because Sagan is one of my favorites, and his romantic view of the universe is very relatable, making his works enjoyable to read.

2. Wells, H. G. The First Men In the Moon. New York: The Random House, Inc., 2003.

I chose this novel because it is by H. G. Wells, author of War of the Worlds, so I know that it is a sci-fi/ alien book that is not quite mainstream and still has a large degree of literary merit. Also, it was written around the turn of the century (20th Century…) so it will have a slightly different view of modern science and what is possible than is generally accepted now, which gives an interesting perspective. There are also aspects of human nature and competing personalities which add an extra element of interaction.

• I chose this Kurt Vonnegut novel because it has been recommended to me by multiple people as one of his best works. The science fiction novel deals with aliens, but I did not begin reading with any more knowledge than that.

3. Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. New York: Harmony, 1980.

When I was younger, I had watched the movie version of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but I had never read the book before. I’ve heard many great things about this book, so I wanted to read it for myself and experience the hilarity firsthand.

4. Herbert, Frank. Dune. Philadelphia: Chilton, 1965.

I chose to read this book because as a kid I remember my dad talking about how much he enjoyed. I also have always wanted to read Dune because a one point when I was younger I read the first chapter and then put the book down.

5. Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. New York: Harmony, 1989. Print.

I picked this book because my father always told me it was one of his favorites as a child. I have seen the movie (though not in recent years) and remember it being very funny. I guess it has always been on my list of books to read and I’m so excited to start!

~Margaret

6. Nylund, Eric S. Halo: The Fall of Reach. New York: Tor, 2010.
    I chose this book because I grew up playing the video game series of this novel and have always wanted to learn more about the Halo Universe. I’ve heard its a great read, being the first book in a long book series. They even made a short TV Series on youtube, called Forward Unto Dawn, which I plan to use as my final movie presentation.

Ryan

7. VONNEGUT, Kurt. Slaughterhouse 5. Vintage: n.p., 1993. Print.

I chose Slaughterhouse 5 due the satirical nature of the book, the presence of aliens within the novel, and the fact that I’ve never read anything by Kurt Vonnegut. I’ve yet to hear anything bad about Slaughterhouse 5, and have had it recommended to me multiple times by friends and family.

8. Card, Orson Scott. Ender’s Game. New York: Tor, 1991.

I chose this book because my brother recommended it. He is quite into sci-fi novels and I knew he would recommend a good one. Hopefully it works out!

Christopher Lincoln

9. Herbert, Frank. Dune. G.P. Putnam’s Sons hardcover edition. New York: The Berkley Publishing Group, 1965.

I chose Dune because I started it in elementary school and made it through a few chapters before deciding it was way over my head. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity for another go at it.

10. Herbert, Frank. Dune. Philadelphia: Chilton Books, 1965. Print.

I had never heard of Dune before this assignment, but after asking around and reading numerous top ten lists featuring this book, I decided that it would be a great book to read.