Five new members were inducted into the William Jackson Palmer Founders Society on Nov. 5, in a ceremony at the base of the Earle Flagpole on Worner Quad. The Society was created in 2002 to honor Colorado College benefactors whose lifetime gifts total or exceed $1 million. The new inductees are:
- The Inasmuch Foundation, with Bob Ross, president and CEO of the foundation and current CC trustee, and Barbara Yalich ’53, an advisory committee member, accepting the award. CC drama majors Beatrice Henn ’10 and Mark Meiklejohn ’10 presented the award and spoke about the value and impact the Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center has on education at CC.
- Virginia Darnes Yates, with Steven Hayward, assistant professor of English, accepting the award. Her bequest to the college supported the Darnes Scholarship and established the Virginia Darnes Yates Endowment to assist the college in bringing noted authors, musicians, and theatrical performers to campus.
- William S. Smith ’74, with Jessica Hunter Larsen ’90, curator of the InterDisciplinary Experimental Arts Program, presenting the award. Smith and his sister, Susan Hoke Smith ’77 gave $2.5 million for the I.D.E.A. Space in the Edith Kinney Gaylord Cornerstone Arts Center. Additionally, he established the William S. Smith, Class of 1974 Scholarship.
- Christine Spence Johnson ’48, with Susan Johnson P’08 accepting the award in honor of her aunt. Professor Richard Agee, chair of the music department, presented the award. Johnson gave $1.3 million to endow the Christine S. Johnson Professorship in Music. Agee is the inaugural holder.
- The Robert Selig family, with Robert Selig ’61, a current trustee, accepting the award on behalf of the family. Katia Tarasava ’12, a Selig International Scholar from Belarus, presented the award. The family’s generosity and support for the college span 50 years with particular focus on international students and study opportunities.
Sixty-nine names are currently engraved on the base of the flagpole, including those of the five new members.