SONG OF THE DAY: Motion City Soundtrack – “The Future Freaks Me Out”

Did anyone else listen to Motion City Soundtrack during their angsty years as much as I did? Sometimes I forget that these guys aren’t super well known because of how large they loom in my memories of middle school. I “discovered” them in 6th grade when they opened for Panic at the Disco (OmG like Ryan Ross, plz DO me XD) and more or less kicked ass. 

Over the past 8 years I’ve followed MCS at a distance, tuning into new albums a couple months after they’re released and vaguely giving a shit when their lead singer went to rehab. I recently went to a free concert they played at a famous record store in Minneapolis, but now that I think about it, that happened four years ago. Time flies when you’re not listening to pop-punk.

At any rate, Motion City Soundtrack is probably my favorite band to listen to when I’m tryna to rock out to some quirky songs about how hard it is to be a 20-something year old with hella feelings. Also great if you’re from the Twin Cities and like hearing references to actual bars near your house (s/o to the 612 [even though I’m from Hopkins]). “The Future Freaks Me Out,” is a perfect introduction to Motion City Soundtrack because it’s just lighthearted enough to keep you from labeling the band as “emo” from the get-go.  Whether it’s an old standby or a new throwback, I suggest you blast it at full volume.