If you were wondering “Hamilton” is just as good the second time as it was the first time. Our seats this time were in the lower section of the theatre which gives you a completely different feel of the show, because now we were able to gain a closer look at the performers subtle gestures and facial movements they make during the show.

I am so happy that we had enough funds to be able to see this play twice. There is so much that goes on during this play with lighting, dancers, and prop movement that are so subtle yet key to the execution of the performance.

Some of my favorite parts of the play:

–       George Washington’s facial expressions towards Jefferson, brings to life how much hate Washington had for Jefferson.

–       The creative choreography for the right hand man number where Washington is leading men into battle and the dancers recreate a war scene with no props but illuminate gestures of being shot at.

–       The final scene where the bullet that is about to hit Hamilton stops and he breaks free of the scene and goes into a beautiful monologue.

It was a fantastic performance but as I look around the audience, the minority presence was severely lacking. We were some of the youngest audience members among an older generally white crowd. Maybe one day these plays will become more available, but until then I don’t think the impact of minority actors playing “white” roles will last. Watching this play it is easy to forget that George Washington is indeed a white male, not an African American. Which is the point of the play, but I don’t think the audience grasped the magnitude of a minority-dominated cast being one of the top musicals on Broadway. This type of success is rarely seen in the movies much less Broadway. For instance look at the recent Oscar nominations not one person of color is on the ballot, which is saddening because in my opinion people of color conducted some of the best performances this year. I only hope that “Hamilton’s” revolution of Broadway is not a one time thing, but the first step to revolutionizing the typical Broadway scene, and continue to show that minorities can and do kick some serious butt.