Get to Know Jim Burke: Director of Summer Session

Jim Burke joined CC this summer as the new director of Summer Session, where he collaborates with faculty and staff to advance the college’s strategic goal of building a nationally recognized summer program. He’s jumped right in, creating the summer course offerings for CC undergraduates and visiting undergraduates, as well as for high school students in the pre-college program. We asked Burke a few questions, to help introduce him to the campus community:

How do you think your position will impact CC?

I look forward to working with our Summer Session team to assemble course offerings that will drive students to consider continuing their dynamic study over the summer, maintaining the vibrant campus experience throughout the year. For faculty, our hope is to support the development of new courses or create an opportunity to offer in-demand courses that fill up during the semester. For students, I think summer will provide a chance to catch up on degree requirements or pursue a new academic interest they may not have had the time to focus on during the traditional academic year.

Where did you work before CC and what where you doing?

I worked at my alma mater, The Catholic University of America, in Washington, D.C., as assistant director of admissions, developing recruitment plans and reviewing applications from the Mid-Atlantic region. Next, I moved across Washington, D.C. to Georgetown University’s Office of International Programs as the information manager to assess study abroad programs. And finally, before joining CC, I worked at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, the Office of Global Strategy, where I developed summer academic programs for the institution’s international partner universities and managed the opening and development of the university’s branch campus in Songdo, South Korea.

What do you bring to this job?

My experience across different institutions allows me to bring the best processes and strategies to the many stakeholders of the Office of Summer Session. Whether developing a new pre-college program that attracts students from underrepresented regions of the U.S., or proposing course offerings that support the interests of our faculty and students, my experience has given me the tools to actualize these and much more.

What are some personal or professional experiences you’ve had either at CC or outside of it that play into your current role?

Student and faculty support is a cornerstone of my experience and one I’ve already been pleased to see firsthand at CC. The entire Summer Session team has immense dedication to ensuring the highest quality academic programming for our students and faculty, and I’m excited to implement even more streamlined processes that further this support.

Who/what was the biggest influence on you?

Between my roles at Georgetown University and George Mason University, I worked for a start-up international education company based in Beijing, which was the most challenging work I’ve ever been a part of. This influenced me significantly because I experienced how consuming but rewarding it is to develop something from scratch. Since that experience, I’ve been fortunate to use the lessons learned from that start-up when I created international programs at GMU and worked with stakeholders across campus to implement new initiatives.

What have you noticed about CC?

The sense of community is such a central element at CC and I love how it infuses so much of the work. It’s energizing to work with people who are inclusive, collaborative, and invested in making positive strides for the college in hopes of bettering everyone’s experience.

Tell us a little about your background.

I almost always say I’m from Washington, D.C., which is true, since I grew up in the city and the surrounding suburbs, but I was born in County Waterford, Ireland, and am very close with my family that still live there and across the U.S. Growing up in a large family (six kids) that had to work through cultural transitions and developing an identity infused with elements of two distinct cultures, has provided me with what I feel is a unique perspective that allows me to consider multiple angles of a situation.

What do you like to do when not working?

I’m still in an “exploring Colorado phase” since I only moved here about a month ago. Aside from trying out all the local coffee shops and restaurants, many faculty and staff have given me great advice on the best running and hiking trails, favorite local breweries, and upcoming events to check out.

Wild card: What is something people don’t know about you?

When I was in college I studied abroad for two semesters, in Dublin, Ireland, and Fremantle, Australia. My time in Ireland was the study abroad experience all universities want their students to have, and I still have an annual reunion with the friends I made there. I think about this group every time I create a new program, because they remind me just how much impact a well-developed academic experience can have on a student’s life. Our 15-year reunion is next year, and I’m excited that the beautiful Colorado Springs will be the host city!

Have a favorite coffee spot or hiking spot to share? Or have a question about Summer Session? Contact Jim Burke on the second floor of Armstrong Hall or jim.burke@coloradocollege.edu, (719) 389-6656.