Class Length

Another huge concern I had coming in to my class was the length of time I would spend in class each day. In high school, I had never had a three hour class, and I was worried that the professor would not be able to fill that time and keep our interests.

As it turns out, this has not been a problem at all! We start class everyday at 9:15 am in Palmer Hall. We spend the first half of class engaging in discussion about the reading material from the homework. We have class for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and then we take a break. Susan is usually great about seeing when we need a break, and giving us time to collect our thoughts before the second half of class. Breaks usually last about 15 minutes. We can spend the break however we’d like. Many of us stand in the hallway and talk, catch up on our phone messages, eat a snack, or even take a quick nap in the breakout room adjacent to our classroom. Then, after break, it’s right back to business. If Susan is lecturing that day, she’ll take the second half of class to do that. The second half is usually also reserved for quizzes or worksheets.

We end class anywhere between 11:45 and 12:15 depending on the day. While it can seem daunting to be in class for so long, it hasn’t ever felt like it was dragging. The small break after the first half of class allows us to catch our breath and clear our heads before jumping back into a discussion or class work.

When class ends, it’s only about noon and you have the rest of the day to do as you please.

So far, I am loving the block plan and it’s intense study, and I can’t wait to continue in my FYE second block.

I’ll write again soon!

-Nila