A Potpourri of Posts

Hello people of BlockFeatures! I come to you from the land of 50 degrees, at last we have Spring in Boston! Today’s post will be heavily illustrated with photos!

EyeWire neurons are pictured on the title page of every chapter in this new neuroscience textbook! So cool- this is the book that both CC and MIT use. (Animation by Alex Norton)
This is another set of EyeWire neurons used in the textbook. Shown is a synapse, and though synapses often connect the part of the cell called the "axon" to a different cell's "dendrite", here we see one cell's dendrite connected to another cells dendrite. If you look closely you'll see that the labels are incorrect... so they must have arbitrarily decided which projection they thought was the axon. Interesting methods Mr.Mark F. Bear... (Animation by Alex Norton)
This is another set of EyeWire neurons used in the textbook. Shown is a synapse, and though synapses often connect the part of the cell called the “axon” to a different cell’s “dendrite”, here we see one cell’s dendrite connected to another cells dendrite. If you look closely you’ll see that the labels imply this is an axon to dendrite connection. This is incorrect. They must have arbitrarily decided which projection they thought was the axon. Interesting methods Mr.Mark F. Bear… (Animation by Alex Norton)

Will brought his 3D doodler to work so I tried to make a bistratified neuron. I like to think of myself as 3D-Cajal, but you can call me Al for short.

After my 3D doodle of a neuron, I 3D doodled a strawberry... or did I?
After my 3D doodle of a neuron, I 3D doodled a strawberry… or did I?
I CALL IT A STRAWBERRAIN!
I CALL IT A STRAWBERRAIN!

Moving on from 3D doodling, I’m going to present you with two photos from the common space at WeWork, the coworking office space that EyeWire HQ calls home.

WeWork is super young and hip. They, like google, hope you will combine your workspace with your playspace. Readily available complementary cornhole and beer are two ways WeWork carries out their mission.
WeWork is super young and hip. They, like Google, hope you will combine your workspace with your playspace. Readily available complementary cornhole and beer are two ways WeWork carries out their mission.

And you know, WeWork carries out their mission well. Here is Michael Murney enjoying some WeWork amenities.
And you know, WeWork carries out their mission well. Here is Michael Murney enjoying some WeWork amenities after hours.

I think I would enjoy falling for one of these coworking space schemes after college. If I can combine my workspace with my playspace then everyone wins. You can get more hours out of me if you treat me well, sure, why not? How is my internship going, you ask? Good. I’m working on some science blog posts for the website, I’ll link to them when they’re up. My time at EyeWire is winding down. It’s sad but I think I’ve done most of what I can there. I’m excited that I have been able to experience a different culture while so close to home. The culture of biotech and the culture of EyeWire that is. We will end this blog post with a section I like to call

“Professional Lessons from the Office”

#1 The best way to both make an impression and learn at work is when a project outside of your assigned area is lacking manpower. Volunteer to help out with these projects and you’re a shoo in for those jobs in the future. -Will and Chris

#2 Concerning grants: “Ask for money and you’ll get advice, ask for advice and you’ll get money.” -various venture capitalists

Published by Nina '16

Hi! My name is Nina and I am a Junior at Colorado College. I am taking a semester off to intern at a startup called EyeWire. EyeWire is part of the citizen science movement where anyone from anywhere can collect data for research. EyeWire gamified the process of brain mapping, and now gamers help gather neuronal projection data at http://eyewire.org. In this blog I will talk about my experiences during my semester, and during my internship.