Giving Thanks On Fall Break!

Hi everyone, it’s Jay again!

This entry is gonna be a bit shorter since we didn’t have class this week, but it is a good time to cover some of the content we read about in the meantime, as well as a bit on how I spent fall break!

It’s my first time back in Arizona since I left for the Bridge Scholars Program in August, which means I’m in store for some much-needed t-shirt weather! Today also marks the first time I met a CC alum in the wild! I was waiting for my bus to Tucson, and it turns out the person I was sitting next to attended their class’s reunion just last year! They majored in Anthropology, so they were really interested to hear about what we had been learning in AN105.

Over break, our Anthro class read a couple chapters about politeness and the nature of “faces” within discourse systems. Everyone has two distinct “faces” in interpersonal communication: One that desires independence (self-determination) and one that desires involvement (cooperation). Depending on the discourse system in place and the context of your conversation, you might value someone’s involvement face over their independence face, or vice versa. For example, if a student is talking with their professor, it would be considered polite for the student to respect the professor’s independence face (tied to authority in this case) and the professor to engage with the student’s involvement face (tied to the student’s academic obligations).

But anyway, on the topic of Fall Break…

Thanksgiving dinner was much more of a Thanksgiving lunch this year! We ate a meal in the mid-afternoon courtesy of a couple family friends and watched a football game afterwards. Other than that, it was a pretty mellow break from the usual routine!

Obligatory dog tributes: Max (left) is a Lhasa Apso mixed with poodle and just a tiny bit of rottweiler! Ellie (right) is my step-brother Will’s greyhound-ish puppy who stays over at our place on occasion. I’m thankful for these two rascals being in my life, no matter how many times Ellie tries to bite Max’s ear.

Anyway, that’s all for this week! I hope you all had a good rest!

Best,

Jay Luckey

Published by Jay

Hi, there! My name is Joshua, but you can just call me Jay. This is my first year at Colorado College! I'm planning on majoring in Physics and double-minoring in Math and Linguistics. My main hobbies include drawing/painting, reading, and urban bicycling. I'm a CCSGA representative on the Student Life Committee, and I'm also involved in the BSU, NASU, and Environment Colorado, to name a few!