Saturday, May 18

Filipino American History Month

“Someday” by Ruby Ibarra

Line: I said, “Mama, we gon’ make it here someday” (Someday)

Last spring, Filipino American, Ruby Ibarra, Zoomed in with Colorado College students and staff for a mini-online concert in celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. When October came and I found out that it was Filipino American History Month, I was confused. Why are there Filipino American History and Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage months? Are they not both celebrations of Asians in the United States? But wait. Is this confusion on multiple celebrations that uplift Asian Americans also perpetuating the practice of seeing the Asian diaspora as a monolithic group? 

The first time I heard “Someday” was actually in the classroom. I remember underlining the lyrics that especially resonated with the childhood me. I mean, how often do we hear a song and imagine ourselves as the protagonist of the story? While the song was about Ibarra’s Filipino American experiences, I felt like I could relate to the process of “success” – of the (Asian) American Dream of “mak[ing] it here someday” – despite not being Filipinx. And because I do not identify as Filipinx, I should distance myself from believing I could understand Filipino Americans as if their experiences were universal across the Asian American diaspora. This was like a gentle reminder that the Asian American diaspora is diverse; the beginnings of migration and resettling in the US is different for different groups. The goal of “mak[ing] it here someday” resonates because diasporas are under the same systems of oppression. But there is no one shared history. Filipino Americans have their own stories of political, social, and cultural struggles; their history is also stories of migration, change, contributions, activism, and more. In my process of understanding the importance of Filipino American History Month, I wondered…well, why not? Why should there not be a time that would specifically center the histories of Filipino Americans? 

Filipino American History Month was formally recognized by the US Congress in 2009. However, the idea was introduced by Dr. Fred Cordova and Dr. Dorothy Laigo Cordova in 1982. Based on the Filipino American National Historical Society, the theme for this year was “50 Years Since the First Young Filipino People’s Far West Convention.” 2021 marks the 50th anniversary of the First Young Filipino People’s Far West Convention. The conventions were an organizing space for activists for the Filipino American movement that addressed issues, like the Filipino Farmworkers’ rights. This month-long celebration is not exclusive to Filipino Americans. Rather, it is a nationally recognized platform for activities to further recognize and support the Filipino American communities. Activities include: organizing teach-ins on the Filipino American movements, highlighting the development of Filipino American curriculums, and facilitating dialogues with Filipino Americans. For 2021, the theme was chosen to honor the early pioneers of the Filipino American movement, the elders, and the following generations of young advocates (FANHS)

If you are interested in learning more about Filipino American History, here are some resources:

Filipino American National Historical Society

Asian Americans (5 part documentary available via Tutt Library) 

Caretakers (short series)

References:

“Ruby Ibarra & The Balikbayans – Someday [2019 NPR Tiny Desk].” YouTube, uploaded by Ruby Ibarra, 14 April 2019, youtube.com/watch?v=SCd3iSfnWSw&t=5s. 

“Filipino American History Month – October 2021.” FANHS, 2021, fanhs-national.org/filam/filipino-american-history-month-october-2021/

Author: Min Pan