The Geology of Home

Image

Lake Surprise, Mountainside, NJ. Photo Credit: Santos  (_atrographic on Flickr)

In class, we have moved on from astronomy and are now discussing geology and its effects on life. Since geology is so important to not only the formation of life, but also its continuation, I thought it might be interesting to investigate the geology that affects me the most: the geology of my hometown.

Image

Moutainside, NJ. Photo Credit: Sperling’s Best Places

Mountainside, New Jersey is surprisingly full of interesting geological features. Ravines, springs, highland swamps, mineral and rock deposits, a quarry! But the most prominent feature would have to be the one the borough is named for, the mountain.

The “mountain” in Mountainside is no mountain by Colorado standards. In fact, it would probably only be considered a sorry hill, but to me it makes all the difference. Mountainside is, in fact, located on the “side” of said mountain. My house is situated at the top of the ridge, across the street from the Watchung Reservation, a forest preserve. The ridge is the first major increase in elevation from the coast, so from merely two houses down from me, you can see the entire New York City skyline and sometimes, the ocean (especially in the winter)!

Image

The Sierra Trail, Watchung Reservation. Photo Credit: County of Union, NJ

The mountain is one of 3 ridges that make up the Watchung Mountains (from the Lenape Wach Unks, or “high hills”). Being the furthest east, it is denoted as the 1st Watchung Mountain. I live on a southern subsection that is part of the Newark Mountains near the Hobart Gap.

Image

The Watchungs. I live just southeast of Springfield. Photo credit: lithium6ion

The Watchung mountains are of volcanic origin and run for 40 miles roughly north to south in north central New Jersey. They can range from 400 to almost 900 feet in height (above the sea level surroundings). They were formed in a giant rift valley 200 million years ago when the supercontinent, Pangea, broke apart. They are made of Watchung basalt and Jurassic sedimentary rock. They were worn down by erosion and during the last ice age, shaped by glaciers. The third mountain encloses the Great Swamp, the remnants of Glacial Lake Passaic.

Image

The Great Swamp National Refuge. Photo Credit: Flat Rock

They are home to many different minerals, rare traprock, and endangered ecosystems and flora and fauna. Dinosaurs have roamed, Native Americans thrived, Washington even used them to strategically place encampments during the Revolution! But to me, they are home.

Image

The Watchung Stables, where I learned to ride growing up. It was originally created as a Nike Missile Base Control Station during the Cold Way and utilized the Watchungs’ strategic position to protect New York City. Photo credit: Gone Hikin’

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchung_Mountains

http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/us/watchung-mountains.html