Production Team

My name is SethWilson Gray, I graduated from Colorado College in 2019 with a degree in English Creative Writing. I am the paraprofessional for the Creativity & Innovation at CC department. I am the project manager for the fabrication team, acting as a medium for the day-to-day operations as we fabricate the face shields.

My name is Johanna Hamblett, I’m a recent graduate from Colorado College, with a degree in Studio Art and Design. I’m from Christchurch, New Zealand, and Colorado has been my home for the past 3 years. It’s exciting to be a part of a team of active designers, artists, creative thinkers and problem solvers, as I lend my hand to the fabrication process of the project, getting out as many PPE face shields as possible.

My name is Noah Trujillo Smith, and I graduated from Colorado College this past May. I’m an Art major with an English minor. I grew up in Colorado Springs, and participating in this project has allowed me to give back to my community in a meaningful way. I’m involved with the fabrication process of the face shields, which consists of pouring molds, assembling shields, and sanitizing them.

My name is Ben Shumlin, and I’m a senior Integrative Design and Architecture major, with a focus in Sociology.  I’m very interested in the ways in which design intersects with sociopolitical issues, so this project is an interesting way to see the concepts I have been exploring in school put into direct action. I’m originally from Vermont, but now I live in Colorado Springs, and when not making PPE I’ve been is spending my time unsuccessfully learning to garden.

Hello! I’m Emma Powell, and I have been faculty with the Art Department for the last 6 years. I taught photography and 2D design. I am originally from Middlebury, Vermont. For this project I have been primarily in charge of creating the shields. Using the laser cutter to cut out the shield plastic and using my skills with Adobe Illustrator to tweak the design to fit multiple patterns for the several different models we are making. I have also been helping with additional  organizational  aspects of the project.

I volunteered to help with this project right away because I wanted to do something productive. I happen to have experience  with the tools needed for this project. I have taught students how to use the software and the laser cutter in my 2D design classes, so I knew that I could jump right in a make what we needed. As a studio artist I enjoying making things and problem solving. I have enjoyed experiencing this project evolve from an idea to effectively producing PPE.