SEP 03 2015

I Get By With A Little Help From My ___________.

Miscellaneous

shopfront

The small neatly wrapped gift boxes immediately caught my eye as I walked by Granny Wobbly’s Fudge Pantry. Granny Wobbly’s is a small fudge shop in Wadebridge that is painted the color pink inside and out. It is inescapable. Each box, wrapped in colorful wrapping paper, is even neatly secured with a pink bow. When I walked by it felt impossible to walk another step without shipping a box home first. Looking across the street I saw a rare sight in Northern Cornwall: a post office. With twenty minutes before my bus was scheduled to leave I was forced to make a decision. I decided to go for it. I walked into Granny Wobbly’s right as a woman who very well could have been “Granny Wobbly” herself was closing up the shop. I asked her if she was still open and she said she had time for one more sale. I explained my intentions to ship one of the colorful boxes in the window and my tight bus schedule. Then, without any further questioning, the older woman sprung into action by wrapping my gift in brown paper. I nervously checked my watch and saw that I had nine minutes until my scheduled departure time. Granny Wobbly (or at least who I thought was Granny Wobbly) then sent me off in a hurry to the post office across the street. Sprinting into the post office I saw a long line of people waiting to ship their packages. One man in the front of the line and so many packages in his arms that the very sight of him collapsed any hope that I had to send my small gift. I fervently wrote down the delivery address on my package while simultaneously praying that I would be able to get it sent. There is no post office in Port Isaac after all! As I hastily scribbled a woman in front of me took notice of my behavior. She gestured to the others in front of her and seconds later called back “sir, are you in a rush?”. In that moment, it was as if the clouds opened up to show me the heavens. Without any hesitation I cried “Yes! Thank you so so much”, and I moved to the delivery window. My watch showed me that I now had four minutes. Unfortunately for me I now faced my biggest challenge: the bureaucracy of the Royal Postal Service. The woman behind the counter observed that I was in a rush and decided to contribute to aiding my progress. Not by making things easier of course, just by doing all of the shipping requirements faster. I handed her the package and she replied “we need a British return address for this package”. Unsure of what to say I replied “Folly Number Two in Port Isaac…?”. I was immediately told that would not do. Frantically I grabbed my phone to find my travel itinerary when I noticed that departure time for the bus was now only two minutes away. I pulled up the address for the Youth Hostile in London and handed it through the window. Then, after struggling with a credit card that wasn’t working, I paid with cash and sent my package on it’s merry way. I turned around and saw the same woman who had let me pass her, she was smiling from ear to ear the entire time. I ran out of the Post Office saying “Thank you so much! I wouldn’t have made my bus if it weren’t for you!”. Then, moments later when I was reunited with my group I realized that I had a lot more people to thank other than her. The old woman in Grandma Wobbly’s and the woman in the Post Office had both been essential in helping me with my package. Without the proper preparation for my package or the assistance of a caring worker I would never have made it on time. It’s just like the old saying says after all: “It takes a village to send some fudge”.