SEP 20 2015

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Miscellaneous

When we were preparing to set off on this great adventure everyone told us, “don’t be afraid to go off on your own if you need alone time.” The person I was before this semester thought that it would be fine to go off but that I probably wouldn’t need to, but boy was I wrong. Not to say that spending time with the group isn’t wonderful, I have had boatloads of wonderful conversations and amazing experiences with the group, but occasionally when things get to be a bit overwhelming I find myself craving a place to be alone with my thoughts. As it turns out public transportation is the perfect place for this.

London Tube - Circle Line

London Tube – Circle Line

It is surprising I know, since modes of public transportation tend to be very crowded, but there is something inherently comforting to me about being quiet in a space filled with other people who are also existing in a state of quiet. However the question becomes what to do when that silence doesn’t exist when one needs it. One thing I use to remedy this is music. With music I can be in the larger group doing activities or in a space filled with loud people and still feel a part of it while having a space where I can think. This is what makes music perfect for buses, walking the streets or riding the train. Sitting staring out the window of the train, I find myself thinking about how much I used to take being alone, or in silence, for granted and how much of a shame it is that it took me this long to figure it out. This is one of many wonderful lessons I’ve learned while being abroad that I hadn’t expected. And as we ride this train and watch the trees fly by the window I’ve just realized that I have a new found appreciation for planes, trains, and automobiles.