SEP 20 2015

Culture Shock

Miscellaneous

They said that leaving home and going to a new place would come with some culture shock. Yet, so far the culture shock I have experienced is not from moving from my home to England, but from moving from Cornwall to London! Moving from the quaint English countryside to a big and bustling city. In Cornwall we stayed in at night and watched Doc Martin, but on the first day of London we went out for a pub-crawl. In Port Isaac I walked through the town and in a few hours saw all of the sights to see, yet in London there is so much to do and I don’t even know where to start. Now, I am not staying that these changes are in any way bad; they are simply different.

Going to both of these cities in the course of two weeks has given me a lot of perspective on what both have to offer. As I sit in the middle of Regents Park writing this, I see so many people walking by. I doubt I will ever see any of these faces again. Although there is some sadness in that statement, there is also a sense of adventure that comes with knowing that there are so many people in this world. There are so many more people to meet and there is even more reason to be grateful that you have met the people you have.

In Cornwall, when I sat in a restaurant or went to the till in the local co-op, I knew that I would see all of those people again walking their dogs or driving down the road. There was a large comfort in this thought. Due to the size, the town was a family, and they really seemed to look out for each other as if they were one. The simplicity of Port Isaac was an escape I didn’t know I needed before entering the city.

I am now fully ready to take on all of the great things London has to offer. I can embrace the city and take in all of its many intricacies and quirks. I can live in the moment, and in London, a lot can happen in a moment.