SEP 20 2015

Getting Lost to Get Found

Miscellaneous

As someone with a terrible sense of direction I find myself lost quite frequently even in the places I grew up and know well. After picking out a landmark I can usually make my way to that particular place and back to my point of origin. However this method isn’t fool proof, as I discovered earlier this evening.

Although I wasn’t desperate to do laundry I had seen a Laundrette (Laundromat at home in the USA) on our way into town and so backpack filled with school work and dirty clothes in hand two of us girls decided to set out on our great laundry adventure.

The tale begins with the asking of directions and a miscommunication that resulted in us wandering in search of the Laundrette for several blocks in the complete opposite direction. After finally finding the Laundromat and dealing with the laundry machine struggles (it ate 2 quid!) we were starving so we set out in search of dinner. We must have stopped in three different pubs, taverns and restaurants before stumbling on Benito’s Hat. Starving and grateful we dined on delicious burritos and frozen strawberry margaritas while reading Great Expectations.

Mikaela reads Great Expectations

Mikaela reads Great Expectations

The lesson of today was definitely that when you go out in the world sometimes it’s good to have a plan and know exactly where you’re going; but to keep in mind that sometimes the most wonderful experiences can come out of wrong turns, a hungry stomach and an openness for adventure.

Delicious dinner at Benito's Hat

Delicious dinner at Benito’s Hat