PLAYLIST: Plague Songs:Then & Now

by Lauren Hough

*ALERT this playlist is wholly historically inaccurate.

I just found out Bardcore is a thing. You’re welcome.

I’ve spent a lot of this Covidian time becoming wrapped up and bound and obsessed with fantastical worlds, and those which pay homage to some sort of 20-21st century interpretation of medieval imagery. I started reading fantasy books again. And listening to music with HARPS and DULCIMERS and good good acoustic guitar. I like thinking about the parallels which exist between the imaginings and sounds of the last 60 years and the late medieval era. Which brings me to this playlist- Plague Songs: Then & Now. 

Here’s my bundle of medieval sounding songs for y’all. It has songs that were actually written in the Medieval/Baroque periods and songs which arrive in the land of medieval psych and folksy stuff. This playlist features a lot of Hildegard Von Bingen (because she’s my life inspiration), but also music from 1960s esoteric artists like The Incredible String Band and Judee Sill, and some contemporary songs from artists Sally Anne Morgan and Richard Dawson.

Farewell! Enjoy!

Playlist ID: Man wearing cloak and mask holds up a large sword, standing near fire.

PC: Naomi Ablao, Model: Jonah Branch